If you're eating a training diet...

If you're eating a training diet, what do you do around holidays?

I'm going to be doing a lot of cooking this week, and it's going to be hard not to nibble. I love cooking for other people, I'm a great cook (if I do say so myself, which is why so many people want me to make stuff) and I kind of can't get out of it.

I want to stick to my meal plan as much as possible. Does anyone have any strategies for dealing with this?

I have a high calorie day almost every week. Thanksgiving day will be that day this week. If by a training diet you mean a cutting diet then you should have a higher calorie day every 48-72 hours anyway, in order to avoid lowering your metabolic rate, so holidays fit nicely as long as you don't go overboard.

I have a high calorie day almost every week. Thanksgiving day will be that day this week. If by a training diet you mean a cutting diet then you should have a higher calorie day every 48-72 hours anyway, in order to avoid lowering your metabolic rate, so holidays fit nicely as long as you don't go overboard.

+1

I agree. The "zig-zag" method is by far the most effective fat-loss approach practiced by bodybuilders, fitness/figure competitors and just people pursuing improvement in body composition. Cycling between 3 or more/less lower calorie (but not too low!), lower-carb and 1-2 or more/less higher calorie, higher-carb days keeps your metabolism revving, minimizes or, in some cases, even eliminates loss of lean body mass and prevents the "starvation response" (drop in metabolic rate) from kicking in.

That changes things. I do all the cooking for the big holidays as well and I know all about nibbling. How else can you tell if you have the seasonings just right?

If it's possible, eat your 5-6 meals as usual and just eat a small amount during the holiday/social meals. Your overall calories will probably be increased, as well as the fat grams, but you can counteract that somewhat by eating small portions of the unhealthy foods. Try to concentrate on the social aspect of the meals, rather than the food.

Good luck!

That changes things. I do all the cooking for big holidays as well and I know all about nibbling. How else can you tell if you have the seasonings just right?

That's the nail on the head right there. I think this can be an issue for a lot of people who cook for more than just themselves. Don't we vegans have extra pressure though? I know with me and my kids and holidays, I felt like I had to make extra super yummy food, better than omni stuff, so they don't feel deprived, part of keeping the famfam in the vegan fold.

Exactly. I cook such extravagant meals for my omni friends! I've heard this many times before from friends - "I could be vegan if someone would cook like this for me every day." And I used to do that when we first went vegan - and cost us each about 10 lbs of pure fat gain!!!

More than 10 pounds for me! But it made us better cooks, eh?

I cooked quite a bit today, but I haven't nibbled on much... even though I invented 2 new recipes. I'll have to adjust the seasonings tomorrow... heh. It helped today to have one of the kids and her friend around. I just called them whenever I needed tastetesters. The problem with that turned out to be... when I came back from the gym, a whole bunch of the candy I made for tomorrow had mysteriously disappeared!