Free weights versions...

I THINK I can figure out some of the free-weight versions of the upper-body exercises I've done in the past. I'm a little less sure about those for the lower body. I've read that squats are great, and I'm trying to get those figured out (but at the moment have nobody to really spot me and coach me on them ). I remember back in the day I would get on all 4's, put a dumbell behind my knee and lift, which felt great for my rear. Do you have any advice?

I'm trying free weights since they seem to require a little (sometimes a lot) more concentration, focus on form, core strength and stability.

thanks. and I'm sorry that my first several posts have been mainly questions. I'm not quite so confident in my ability to offer suggestions to others except for in the area of running, so please don't be annoyed with my lack of contributions thus far.

Squat and deadlift are the two mainstays.

Squat doesn't hit calves as much, and aside from that it's basically just different parts of the same muscles.

There's also lunges. You can do lunges while holding dumbbells. And hack squats.

Those four are all you need.