Running Questions

robert

I got this via myspace. Anyone want to offer some feedback I can reply with?

Hey Rob, how are you? I wanted to get some advice on running.

Right now I don't have a lot of cash, but I need to get in shape before my health really gets out of hand, I can afford a good pair of running shoes and will be using a tread mill (doesn't make my shin's and knee's hurt). I know there are some things that a novice should learn before getting into any sport, bad technique and bad advice causes unecessary injury and very little results, been there and done that.

I know your area of expertise is weight training but I'm sure there is some one in you circle of fitness friends if not you that could help me.

Thanks, in advance I value your suggestions.

Well I'm no expert, and I'm not a fast runner but here's some of what I've learned from experienced runners.

1 Running is mostly a mental sport, I'd say 90% mental and 10% physical. You basically have to psych yourself up a lot.

2 Don't expect to run a marathon, if you've never run a 5k before. Basically start slow. I began with 1 mile on the treadmill, and a month later was almost to 3 miles, just increasing a bit at a time.

3 Cross train, it's important to do other cardio activities besides running, as this helps to prevent injury. I run three times a week, take a step class, and also use eliptical machines, etc.

4 Have fun with it! If you dread it you won't keep doing it.

Ditto what hsorlando said. Another thing to remember is to not feel compelled to start too fast. It's really discouraging to try running aorund the block only to find you're wiped out at the end of your street. So, for some people it might help to get some slow miles under their belt. Then, when you feel cool about that, you can focus on that same distance but inceasing speed. Something like the Couch 2 5K training might even be beneficial depending on the person's fitness level.

Anyway, I was actually doing a search for shoes when I came upon this. Good luck to the runner!

Maybe the most important thing is to go to a good running store, have them examine your stride and impact, and get shoes that fit the way you run. If you over/underpronate, if you're flatfooted, whatever, you need shoes that provide proper support. Otherwise, you will end up with problems.

Maybe the most important thing is to go to a good running store, have them examine your stride and impact, and get shoes that fit the way you run. If you over/underpronate, if you're flatfooted, whatever, you need shoes that provide proper support. Otherwise, you will end up with problems.

absolutely. it all starts with the right shoes and proper technique. youtube has lots of great videos on form, and thats definitely the most important thing to focus on. if youre running improperly, you might eventually end up going some long distances, but you wont enjoy it as much, you'll put unnecessary stress on your body, and will probably end up injured. imho treadmills take the fun out of running, and if youre running properly, pavement shouldnt be a problem. of course running on a treadmill is better than not running at all!

I have some really good running shoes and I always make sure I'm properly hydrated before my run.

I also stretch and warm-up my muscles so I don't get stiff. This is important for me. I also start off slow, and cross-train like hsorlando mentioned ^^

Yeah good form is extremely important. When I started running the trainer that was helping me was a stickler for this. Then earlier this month at a meeting for a tri club one guy was saying that yes you can run a marathon or other distance with bad form but all you've done is mastered your bad form, and possibly given yourself an injury.

Edited by hsorlando

Yeah good form is extremely important. When I started running the trainer that was helping me was a stickler for this. Then earlier this month at a meeting for a tri club one guy was saying that yesyou can run a marathon or other distance with bad form but all you've done is mastered your bad form, and possibly given yourself an injury.

and wasted a lot of energy.