Robert Cheeke's Journal - 3 contests in 4 weeks!

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually made my own food tonight I heated up some brown rice Ravi gave me, heated up some tofu, had some other packaged tofu, had some hot sauce from La Bonita and I made it on my own

Normally...I suck..I just buy food constantly...in fact I said multiple times this week.."I miss Tasha making food for me." I think I said to to Brian, to Jessi, maybe to Ravi and said it to myself.

Shame hey....you need to.

Awesome Back workout Robert, I have never commented on your workouts, but I do read them you are a true inspiration!! One day I hope to look half as good as you do!!

On another note where can you buy those Vegan shirts and tanks mr and the wife would love to where them around our gym and elsewhere??

I actually made my own food tonight I heated up some brown rice Ravi gave me, heated up some tofu, had some other packaged tofu, had some hot sauce from La Bonita and I made it on my own

Normally...I suck..I just buy food constantly...in fact I said multiple times this week.."I miss Tasha making food for me." I think I said to to Brian, to Jessi, maybe to Ravi and said it to myself.

Shame hey....you need to.

Aw Dry you did ? I miss making food for you.

Seriously ! My favorite was surprising you in the morning with some oat meal and a smoothie. I missed the down town before the chaos. If anyone knows how you roll the best, it would be the Wash

Well I'll make nice meals for you when you come here.

You'll have The Bern and the Wash in the Kitchen eh ?

Thanks everyone,

I've gone from Mr. Yo-Yo of 2001-2008 to Mr. Consistency of 2009. The only workouts I have missed from January-June 2009 have been because of a back injury. Other than that, I have trained 5 or 6 days a week every week for the past 5 months.

The result has been inspiring. As Mr. Consistency I've been able to take my body from:

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c210/VeganBodybuilder/Bodybuilding%20Photos/march5.jpg

To:

http://www.leyphotography.com/order/bill_pearl_classic_2009/part1/content/bin/images/large/20090502_IMG_4086.jpg

Over the course of a year from spring 2008 to spring 2009.

The results of consistency keep me pretty inspired and motivated to keep it up.

Today I trained arms. I started with triceps rather than biceps and it was a good move. Triceps are bigger anyway so I should start with them more often.

I started with 200 push-ups, 8 sets of 25

Dips

Overhead Dumbbell Extensions

60 x 15

75 x 15

90 x 6

80 x 15

80 x 8

Narrow-grip bench press

135 x 6

135 x 8

135 x 8

135 x 10

135 x 12

My wrist gets very sore on these just like it does on skull crushers, so I have be careful and not pretty too much or do too many reps...but I did spread my wrists out more on the final couple of sets (which I know makes it easier to press) but took some pressure off the right wrist which gives me pain and trouble.

Cable bicep curls

25's x 20

30s x 15

35s x 15

Standing EZ Bar Bicep curls

70 x 12

70 x 10

70 x 10

70 x 8

70 x 8

Seated alternated dumbbell curls

35s x 6

35s x 7

35s x 8

35s x 9

35s x 10

Reverse grip straight bar curls (pronated grip)

40 x 15

45 x 15

60 x 15

70 x 10

75 x 10

100 more push-ups (300 total)

40 minutes of eliptical cardio machine while watching the Magic get blown out by Kobe and the Lakers.

Then ate 1000 calories on the way home and now off to get some more food before bed.

Rest day tomorrow

Posing class on Saturday morning

A trailer for my favorite movie:

I had it on in the background today when I worked from the computer.

Narrow-grip bench press

135 x 6

135 x 8

135 x 8

135 x 10

135 x 12

My wrist gets very sore on these just like it does on skull crushers, so I have be careful and not pretty too much or do too many reps...but I did spread my wrists out more on the final couple of sets (which I know makes it easier to press) but took some pressure off the right wrist which gives me pain and trouble.

Wrist Wraps: http://www.plgearonline.com/cart/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=21

I wouldn't be able to train half the pressing movements I do without a pair of these. The 24" ones in the link are quite solid - strong enough for anything if you wind them tight, or can be loose enough for stuff where you need some flexibility but just want a bit of support. PL Gear Online is a good company, shipping is insanely quick, but any pair of wrists wraps from Big 5 or any sporting goods store should work well enough too.

Thanks!

I seriously can't do skull crushers without my wrist bothering me for days and ruins my workout....presses hurt a bit too, especially narrow grip and even dips or machines too. It's my right wrist that has some problems.

Thanks for the tip! As I continue to recover from back injuries I want to get into more heavy compound lifts too.

Back in action.......

I'm 29 years old.

I took a day off from training today and I hung out with John Joseph from the Cro Mags. He's a cool dude and we talked about doing a number of projects together. We're already working together on something that started before we met in person but we may try to do some video stuff, etc. together in the future.

Anyway, it's late and I have posing class in the morning so I better get some rest.

I listened to this today in the background while I worked:

I enjoy hard work and it's great!

I was up late after the Cro Mags show last night but woke up in time for morning posing class. Had a really tough posing class today with about 15 others, including the young woman on the front of www.bodybuilding.com ....nice! She and I trained together last week and may again one of these days....good class in general.

After class and being inspired by all the lean bodybuilders and competitors I went to the gym and did a workout I haven't done since high school

I did box jumps and explosive jumping work to fire off my glutes, hams, quads, and calves and it also got me sweating a lot.

I alternating my jumps with steps up to the box like climbing stairs at a running pace and some at a walking pace when I could no longer exert the explosive energy. I also did 10 sets or so of intense ab training.

Good workout overall...then went to Whole Foods, met up with Lean and Green and then headed home...eating BIG time now...guys way smaller than me are taking in 400 grams of protein a day....I really need to step it up a notch!

Even a bantamweight guy takes in as many as 700 grams of protein...then again, he's Mr. USA at that weight class. Another bantam (under 143 lbs) told me he is taking in 392 grams of protein a day. I'm not even at 200 grams a day right now....lower than I used to...used to get around 300 g a day. So I really need to step it up if I can stomach it. These guys are getting big and lean and my body isn't changing quite as much....clearly from different levels of protein and carb intakes.

Gotta rise up to the challenge....eating now....

Go Dry Go !!

What I do to get my intake of protein is I bring zip lock baggies of protein powders to work. I also pack up my spouts with me too.

you should or if you haven't already pack up blocks of tufo in a bag cooler and rice cakes were ever you go.

You'll have ripping abs in no time

yeah, and it's hard for me to get it all in general....it really is hard for me to stomach so much protein and I can't take in too much in liquid form because I have the bladder of a 5-year old.

So I have a few things to overcome but if I can get some good quality sources of protein, get enough of it, and get enough liquid to help with processing the increased amount, I think I'll do pretty well. Just a balancing act and record-keeping act to make sure I'm on target....leaving soon but will take food with me

You too eh?. I'm finding it a problem too.

It's so hard for me to stomach 120 grms of protein a day. I can't even see how ppl can get

400grms of protein a day. Without feeling uncomfortable.

Go Dry Go !!!

I trained chest today.

I hung out with Giacomo's family who is visiting from NY and picked some strawberries and ate many of them too.

Then came home and went to work for a while. Doing lots of writing these days and many hours in front of a computer. Working on all kinds of neat projects and really fun stuff. I wrote a 4-page letter today for one of the biggest role models of my life who is retiring after 25 years of serving a community I grew up in. I will miss the party but the letter will be read to the audience including to the person I wrote it for. I put a lot of time into it but as one of my biggest mentors, she'll be much appreciative of the thought I put into it and the stories that I shared from knowing her my whole life.

Anyway, to the workout..

Trained chest

Cable flys to warm up

20s x 50

25s x 50

30s x 50

40s x 25

50s x 20

Flat Bench Press

135 x 12

155 x 6

175 x 6

195 x 6

205 x 6

215 x 6

Incline Bench Press

95 x 12

115 x 10

135 x 6

145 x 6

155 x 8

175 x 6

Decline Bench Press

135 x 15

185 x 6

205 x 6

225 x 6

235 x 6

135 x 9

135 x 8

Push-ups

Machine flys

140 x 10

160 x 10

140 x 8

110 x 10

70 x 15

Largest guy at our gym was training chest too and we talked quite a bit....we've never really talked before...we just see each other and nod our heads. I don't talk a lot at the gym. But anyway, he is huge, like NPC National Qualifier, etc. He gave me all kinds of compliments and respect and it was really a big surprise and pretty cool. He spotted me, chatted about food, posing, etc. He invited me to practice posing with him. He has the same coach I do but also said he'd work with me anytime. I was so pumped I went home and ate 100 grams of protein post workout.

I want to be at my best so I have to act like it.

Yesterday I just did an hour of moderate cardio and today I hammered shoulders.

I was super pumped to train shoulders, even wore a specific tank top which I never wear...I usually wear a sweatshirt when I train....but last time I wore a Vegan Bodybuilding tank top and was super pumped it got a lot of attention so I did it again.

But when I started to train, my shoulders were sooooo sore from my posing session on Saturday and my chest workout on Sunday.

I trained chest really hard and some of those barbell presses really fatigued my shoulders too.

Anyway, after a couple of shoulder exercises I moved to back and then started to loosen up and went back to shoulders and completed a shoulder workout and then 45 minutes of cardio.

It went like this:

Cable Shoulder press

20's x 50

25s x 25

30s x 20

Cable rows for back

70 x 20

80 x 15

90 x 15

Wide grip pull-ups

Narrow grip pull-ups

Dumbbell Shrugs

75s x 25

85s x 15

100s x 15

100s x 15

90s x 15

90s x 12

80s x 15

70s x 20

Lateral raises

20s x 20

20s x 20

25s x 15

25s x 15

25s x 15

Front raises

20s x 10

20s x 10

25s x 6

25s x 8

25s x 10

Rear Delt Raises

15s x 15

15s x 15

15s x 15

15s x 15

15s x 15

supersets with some seated front raises

Barbell overhead press

70 x 12

70 x 15

80 x 12

80 x 15

60 x 20

Cable overhead press

60s x 15

70s x 15

80s x 12

90s x 10

100s x 8

110s x 4

Machine overhead press

110 x 15

150 x 8

150 x 10

150 x 10

45 minutes on the stationary bike

Nice shoulder pump.

I ate 110 grams or protein post workout. I'm tired of being the guy who eats 200g a day when smaller guys are eating 400g a day and getting shredded and guys my size or bigger are eating double what I'm eating for protein. After the 110g post workout, I went out to dinner and had more and I'm going to have more before bed too and all throughout the day tomorrow, etc.

Time to make it happen.

RC

I trained legs today and it was nice!

I started with lunges, something I usually finish with. I was there for just about 90 minutes or so.

Getting used to some heavier weights again after my back injury 2 months ago that left me unable to walk for a period of time. It went like this:

Lunges

1 loop around gym

1.25 loops around gym

1.5 loops around gym

1.75 loops around gym

2.0 loops around gym

Leg press

180 x 20

180 x 35

270 x 30

360 x 25

450 x 20

540 x 12

630 x 8

630 x 8

Narrow foot position

360 x 20

360 x 20

Lying Leg Curls

70 x 25

90 x 15

100 x 12

110 x 12

120 x 10

Leg Extensions

90 x 15

130 x 15

170 x 12

210 x 12

210 x 12

150 x 20

drop sets

90 x 15

50 x 15

Calf raises on my own after I left the gym

I also walked lots of stairs when I got home (doing laundry in basement before leaving for California in the morning).

Thanks again everyone who has been supporting

www.veganproteins.com

www.veganessentials.com

www.foodfightgrocery.com

Those are the main sites we work with, who support us well and who are friends of ours and like what we're doing.

Took in over 100 g protein post workout again today Was 189.5 on the scale today, which was nice since I was 170.5 when I weighed in for my contest a month ago. I'm eating a lot these days, but training a lot, training hard and keeping in good condition.

Off to Santa Rosa tomorrow. I'll be at the Harmony Festival all weekend. Come by and say hi if you like. I'll be at the VEGA/Sequel Naturals booth.