Is anyone on here a fireman?

no_oops

My neighbor just went through the training. I don't remember the exact details, but I recall he had to carry a load of 75 lbs up stairs several times. There was a good deal of running. He also had to drag a load through a very basic obstacle course. I think it was about 80 lbs., but I would assume it to be heavier to better simulate body weight. This seemed to provide the most trouble physically as it incorporated some really large muscle groups and dealing with a large bag of weight. I think it was something akin to a large bag of sand. Try to get used to that, they are hard to grip after a while. My neighbor is probalby 150-160, 5' 9" or so. He didn't have any physical problems, and actually did an extended shift where he works as a loading dock manager, but he was tired during his shift. Sore the next day. Very sore. He didn't make the cut though due to a few seconds of timing. He said he should have jogged in between the activities instead of walking. 4 seconds make a difference to firefighters. He said people that were taller than him, but weighed less also completed the course, one passed and my neighbor was surprised. Lesson being to be as efficient with your time as possible, and the strongest people do not always prevail, you've gotta have useful strength, not just some big muscles. A good cardiovascular system would certainly help. Also pay attention to the season during which you will test. These things will be harder in the middle of the summer in comparison to mid-October.

I believe a lot of it has to do with endurance, not just strength. There's a member at my gym, and sometimes he does his cardio with a weighted vest on, I think he's a cop, or firefighter.

Another time I was doing a 5k race and was talking to a firefighter/medic that was running the race. She had to wear all her gear, and it weighed something like 50 lbs. She was quite tiny too.

To echo what CollegeB was saying, you need to always envision that you are in a life and death situation when it comes to training. You aren't there to "complete a task" or "get around an obstacle," but "OMG THERE'S FUCKING FIRE EVERYWHERE AND LIVES ARE AT STAKE!! THE PLACE MIGHT COLLAPSE AND KILL ME ALONG WITH IT!!!" That way, you'll ensure you pick up the pace and really get through. When you convince your body that something like that really is happening, you can trick up some adrenaline to help you out as well.

I haven't done any firefighting training, but that's what helped me during Marine Corps boot camp.