Lobsteriffic's Training Log - Oct. 31st Marathon Here I Come

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tuesday, August 25th:

Workout:

Tried to go for a bike ride. Couldn't figure out why it was so difficult. Then I realized I had very low air in my back tire. Duh.

Diet:

Breakfast: shake with protein powder, flax, mixed berries, banana, and soy milk

Snack: orange

Lunch: salad with greens, radish, beet, cauliflower, broccoli, onion, and "honey" mustard dressing, bbq black-eyed peas, strawberries

Snack: orange, peach

Supper: baked tofu, kale, chickpea quinoa pilaf

Snack: watermelon, strawberries

Wednesday, August 26th:

Workout:

I tried supersets for the first time ever.

Superset: Goblet Squats (3@35x8) and DB RDL's (3@30x8)

Superset: DB Shoulder Press (3@15x8) and Lateral Raises (3@8x8)

Superset: One-arm row (3@25x8) and DB Press (3@25x8)

After weights I did 15 minutes of walking on an incline and then cooled down with stretching.

I'm not sure how I feel about supersets. I think I like just regular ol' lifting better. But perhaps I'll keep one day a week like this.

Diet:

Pre-WO: banana

Post-WO: shake with protein powder, flax, soy milk, peach, strawberry, blueberry, psyllium husk, oats; some leftover pilaf

Lunch: nectarine, salad with greens, broccoli, cauliflower, beet, onion, chickpeas, roasted portobello and spicy mustard dressing; watermelon & strawberries

*ended up getting a bad headache, couldn't cook supper

Supper: raisins, oatmeal with blueberries, walnuts and agave

Later on: more oatmeal with protein powder, soy milk, banana, agave, walnuts; also had an orange

Friday, August 28th

Workout:

DB Bulgarian Squats:

30 x 8

30 x 8

30 x 8

GM's:

45 x 10

95 x 8

95 x 8

95 x 8

Negative Chins:

BW x 6

BW x 6

BW x 6

Push Press:

40 x 8

40 x 8

40 x 7

BB Row:

45 x 8

50 x 8

50 x 8

Bench Press:

65 x 8

65 x 8

65 x 6

Diet:

Pre-WO: banana

Post-WO: shake with protein powder, peach/strawberry/blueberry/mango, soy milk, flax, psyllium husk

Snack: 2 medjool dates

Lunch: edamame and corn salad with greens; banana "pudding" (banana + agave in food processor)

Snack: 2 oranges, cherry tomatoes

Supper: quinoa sushi, corn and edamame salad

Snack: mango sorbet

Today (Saturday) was crap in terms of diet and no exercise. I need to reassess my goals and quit fooling around. I need to get serious about this again. I've been slacking on my cardio and I just don't feel as committed as I was a few months ago. I need to get some tangible goals written down so I am working toward something concrete.

I spent some time last night introspecting and really thinking about my goals and where I want to be. I feel better about this....like I truly am back on track.

Goals for the rest of the year:

-learn to lane swim (I am signing up for a 7 week course starting mid-September. I can keep myself from drowning, but I really need to work on stroke improvement)

-get back into bellydancing (signing up for a 7 week course starting Sept. 14th)

-lose ~10 lbs (trying not to focus on exact scale numbers)

-stop being lazy and get in (real) cardio at least 5x/week

-run 5k in under 30 minutes (I am such a SLOW runner)

-get back into stretching on a consistent basis. My arthritis feels so much better when I do this.

-get a handle on moderation. Just because I eat one bad thing does not give me permission to completely pig out

-quit being such a whimp. I am scared of so many things. Like boats. There's a kayaking workshop coming up on Sept. 26th. I know my husband would be interested in going. I am going to make myself go. It's a kayak in an indoor swimming pool. That's really nothing to be afraid of. My husband really likes boats and next summer it would be great if we could join the canoe club together. He doesn't exercise nearly enough and that's something he would actually do. Problem is I'm too scared to go canoeing. I need to get over it.

-focus on how good I feel when I exercise and eat right

-learn mindful eating. I need to focus on what I am eating and learn to stop when I am full. If I feel like snacking in the evening because I'm bored I need to get myself doing something else (go for a walk, go for a bike ride, read a book, pick up some knitting, whatever)

-focus on my overall goal of being fit and healthy (and having a smokin' bod )

I feel confident about this. I made a list of these goals on a piece of paper and I am hanging it up on my office wall where I'll see it every day.

EDIT: oh yes, I forgot: I want to be able to do 10 real (not girlie) push-ups. Right now I can't even do one. I am serious. If I could get to 10 by the end of the year that would be awesome.

Some of them. Like the running faster - I'm going to start on Week 5 of Couch to 5k on the treadmill with the speed set to 10k/h. I think Week 5 should be an appropriate place to start...I'm going to start tomorrow

Hmm...the other ones I think I am just going to try and keep them in mind. I need to set aside time to introspect more and really think about what I'm doing on a day to day basis

awesome goals! I know you can do it. And I bet you can do a real pushup right now. just do one really slowly and just got for 1 rep and see how it goes. I know you can. The only way to get real pushups is train the negative (lowering) motion of the pushup slowly. Doing "girlie" pushups won't get you there. It will get you more girlie pushups.

It will get you more girlie pushups.

And I certainly don't want that! I want to be tough and be able to crank out the cool kind of push-ups.

Okay I tried to do it really slowly but I can't lower myself very far. If I go too far then I can't get back up. I'll make a point of doing negatives every evening while I'm doing my stretching before bed.

Sunday, August 30th:

Workout:

Went for a 10 mile bike ride this AM...took me a little over an hour.

In the evening I did 15 negative push-ups (3 sets of 5), 45 sit ups (3 sets of 15) and some static and dynamic stretching.

Diet:

Breakfast: shake with protein powder, frozen berries, flax, psyllium husk, soy milk

Lunch: salad (greens + lemon tofu + balsamic vinaigrette)

Snack: pickle

Supper: tofu, zucchini, corn on the cob; 2 oranges

Monday, August 31st:

Workout:

Dynamic stretching

Squats:

45 x 8

95 x 8

95 x 8

95 x 8

RDL's:

45 x 8

105 x 8

105 x 8

105 x 8

Neg Chins:

BW x 8

BW x 8

BW x 6

Arnold Press:

20 x 6

20 x 3

Not sure what was going on there...I just could NOT do this today...usually I do 3 sets of 6-8. I was able to crank out more negative chins today than usual and I guess that drained me? Not sure.

Incline DB Press:

22.5 x 7

22.5 x 3

Same as above. Plus my right shoulder was clicking a lot which is bizarre...I didn't want to aggravate that. Clearly my body wasn't really wanting to do push exercises this AM.

Seated Cable Row:

75 x 8

75 x 8

75 x 8

Running intervals:

Walk 3 min @ 5.5 km/h

Run 5 min @ 10 km/h

Walk 3 min @ 5.5 km/h

Run 5 min @ 10 km/h

Walk 3 min @ 5.5 km/h

Run 5 min @ 10 km/h

Walk 5 min @ 5.5 km/h

That kicked my butt...I haven't done running since July.

Diet:

Pre-WO: raisins

Post-WO: shake with protein powder, flax, psyllium husk, frozen berries, soy milk

Snack: peach

Lunch: salad with greens, romaine, lemon tofu, balsamic vinaigrette; 2 nectarines

Snack: pickle

Supper: Moroccan tagine over quinoa; orane

Usually pre-WO I have a banana, but we didn't have any in the house so I had some raisins. They were okay in a pinch but not the best. I could feel my body working to digest them during my workout. Oh well, better than lifting weights on an empty stomach, that always makes me feel icky.

Tuesday, September 1st:

Workout:

7 mile bike ride first thing in AM...took me about 50 min.

Diet:

Post-WO: shake with protein powder, frozen berries, flax, psyllium husk, and soy milk; peach

Lunch: salad with greens and romaine, lemon tofu, and balsamic vinaigrette; 2 nectarines

Snack: kale chips, nectarine

Supper: mango summer rolls with peanut sauce; orange

You're having fun on that bike, huh?

Running intervals:

Walk 3 min @ 5.5 km/h

Run 5 min @ 10 km/h

Walk 3 min @ 5.5 km/h

Run 5 min @ 10 km/h

Walk 3 min @ 5.5 km/h

Run 5 min @ 10 km/h

Walk 5 min @ 5.5 km/h

That kicked my butt...I haven't done running since July.

Your running will come back, don't worry. If I ever stop, please remind me of that when I start back up.

I'd be having more fun on that bike if it wasn't a cheap hunk of junk, but oh well, it gets me from point A to point B. I thought of buying a new one, but we're moving next year and I may as well just wait until after that. The less stuff we have to move the better.

I am enjoying exploring different areas of the city I don't normally go to though.