The Chronicles of Narnia (+fur)

veggymeggy

Topher and I went to see the Chronicles of Narnia last night.

It was good!

But, the whole way through, one thing kept really bothering us. The 4 kids in the movie are wearing FUR coats, while ANIMALS are saving their lives and protecting them! At one point one of the children even makes a joke about turning the helpful Mr. Beaver into a hat.

I know from reading the book that it's in the original that they're wearing the furs, but serious, did no one else see the hypocrisy in wearing animals as they protect and shelter you?

It was quite a bothersome nagging detail.

However, we did see some pretty cool previews. Like Hoot! It's an animal liberation movie! (of sorts) Or Over the Hedge, it shows what happens when suburbia takes over natural habitat. We were pretty suprised and pleased at the previews!

Just not at the stupid, stupid fur coats.

I was thinking the same thing about the fur coats.

Otherwise, a very good movie. I liked the actress who played the white witch. She played Gabriel in the movie Constintine.

Our previews were different I suppose, they showed the up coming Pirates of the Carribean II, woohoo!

Yeah, when I saw title of this thread I new it would be the fur coats. I haven't seen the movie, but I knew about the characters in the story having fur coats. Still, would have been nice if director enlightened the story by ditching the fur.

However, we did see some pretty cool previews. Like Hoot! It's an animal liberation movie! (of sorts) Or Over the Hedge, it shows what happens when suburbia takes over natural habitat. We were pretty suprised and pleased at the previews!

I haven't heard of these two movies. Just found the premise for Over the Hedge. I'd be interested to know how the director portrays the subject. The odds are so stacked against free-living animals in suburbia, I hope the film actually gives the situation its due. If they made the homeowners, state wildlife officials, community leaders and hunters look as bad as they are in reallife this film would get an R rating. I notice they have a character called the "Verminator," this character would have to make the "Terminator" look like a "Kindergarden Cop."

At one point one of the children even makes a joke about turning the helpful Mr. Beaver into a hat.

considering it's a bible story it's good to see them throw a bit of humour in there

I don't know the books.

But i think it was the worst movie ever. Or close.

Apart from the crap nature of this ...movie, it was apparently very unvegan. The fur is what bothered me most, too. The leather is everywhere also. They talk to their horse while hunting deer? Hello? Incredibly hypocritic...

Crap movie.

What exactly did you like about it?

Except the special effects (cool beastmen) and Lucy i can't think of anything positive...

• 2 weeks later...
i absolutely love the book

Have you read all seven Chronicles Topher? I read them all when I was nine. I enjoyed them as well - I read them in order too. I think most people read TLTW&TW first. That is the first book in the series that CS Lewis wrote, but it is not the first book chronologically.

The Magician's Nephew is the first book, which if I remember right was my favourite.

Edited by Tarz

Apparently the film ( I haven't seen it ) is an accurate representation of the book. Therefore why is everyone shocked/surprised to see the fur coats?? Of course, I would of hoped that the fur was fake, but I think that sadly real fur was used...

Major film studios do not alter how they tell a story just because it may upset some vegans.

Remember too that when the film is set - WW2 Britain - there was not ( if any ) the same stigma attached to wearing fur as there is today.

considering it's a bible story

Debatable.

CS Lewis always denied the Christian links.

are you taking the piss?

all the chronicles of narnia were different parts of the bible made more easily read by kids.

i would love to find any link/quote with CS lewis refuting any christian links because he was not only a very public christian figure but the parrellels between his fiction and the fiction of the bible are astounding.

i absolutely love the book

Have you read all seven Chronicles Topher? I read them all when I was nine. I enjoyed them as well - I read them in order too. I think most people read TLTW&TW first. That is the first book in the series that CS Lewis wrote, but it is not the first book chronologically.

The Magician's Nephew is the first book, which if I remember right was my favourite.

yep good books. i should re-read them some time. i read em back in like 3rd or 4th grade

considering it's a bible story

Debatable.

CS Lewis always denied the Christian links.

I'm seem to recall him saying he was trying to introduce children to christian ideas to make them more receptive to the real thing later. Aslan was Jesus/god. He died and rose again, etc. There's really no doubt of this. I'd like to see a link to the contrary. I think you're just kidding though, cus I'm positive that is what he was doing. It wasn't a secret.

I've read the whole series numerous times plus his Perelandra, Hideous Strength, etc thing. His writing is good. The movie was not. The movie was horrible. The BBC version was better. Except the BBC beavers were horrendous. Drove me nuts.

Nope. Tis true.

i have to calll you out on this one. he definitely wrote them with the idea of a kiddie bible in mind.

please find any link/quote to refute that.

please.

idiot.

I have read all the books, all when I was much younger. I didn''t pick up on the Christian theme until I was so informed. It's subtle enough to be innocuous, in my opinion.

I know they wore fur coats in the books, but I was still saddened to see it brought to life. You'd think somewhere between the book and the movie someone would realize what bs it is to have the animals save the lives of fur wearing bastards. Guess I'm just an optimist.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/film/4443248.stm

Please note - "Christian themes were very important to CS Lewis and imbued everything he did, but he himself denied any religious implications."

http://books.guardian.co.uk/departments/childrenandteens/story/0,,1657050,00.html

See letter C - i.e CS Lewis said the TLTWATW was not Christian allegory.

I guess that makes you a prize idiot Jza. No I was not taking the piss. No I wasn't kidding Jay.

Like I said, CS Lewis always denied these claims. I can't find an actual quote from CS Lewis himself, but I've read enough reviews and articles the last few weeks which also said the same. Yes, I know CS Lewis was a very dedicated Christian. Yes, I know he wrote many Christian works. I am aware of the alleged biblical links in the Chronicles. I am also aware that CS Lewis refuted these claims.

Nope. Tis true.

i have to calll you out on this one. he definitely wrote them with the idea of a kiddie bible in mind.

please.

idiot.

Please tell me that you were signing off as 'idiot' instead of calling another board member one

Jza, that will NOT be tolerated here

Edited by compassionategirl

http://atheism.about.com/od/cslewisnarnia/a/chroniclenarnia.htm

C.S. Lewis didn’t think of his Narnia books as being an allegory, strictly speaking. Instead, he though of them as exploring the nature of Christianity and God’s relationship with man in a parallel universe:

"I did not say to myself ‘Let us represent Jesus as He really is in our world by a Lion in Narnia’; I said, ‘Let us suppose that there were a land like Narnia and that the Son of God, as he became a Man in our world, became a Lion there, and then imagine what would happen.'"

In a letter, Lewis outlined how the Narnia books compare with Christianity:

The Magician’s Nephew tells the Creation and how evil entered Narnia, The Lion etc. - the Crucifixion and Resurrection, Prince Caspian - restoration of the true religion after a corruption, The Horse and His Boy - the calling and conversion of the heathen, The Voyage of the Dawn Treader - the spiritual life (especially in Reepicheep), The Silver Chair - the continuing war against the powers of darkness, The Last Battle - the coming of Antichrist (the ape). The end of the world and the last judgement.

It's just semantics by Lewis to call it something other than an allegory.

I really liked his one book that had Merlin in it. I think that was That Hideous Strength.

Nope. Tis true.

please.

idiot.

Please tell me that you were signing off as 'idiot' instead of calling another board member one

Jza, that will NOT be tolerated here

Don't worry Nat.

I'm not bothered in the slightest if Jza thinks I'm an idiot. How does the saying go? It takes one to know one.

• 2 weeks later...