Trouble recovering after heavy weight lifting.

Hey guys I’m having trouble recovering after I lift heavy weights at the gym.

I can lift the weights fine, but the day/s following I will feel sick, like I am about to come down with a cold.

I was wondering if anyone could help me out.

On my weight training days I always make sure I have at least 200 grams of protein.

I have plenty of supplements/vitamins and drink plenty of water.

My workout usually takes about an hour make be longer.

I start and finish my work with 2 rounds of shadow boxing.

I work most of my body, mainly to focus on other things during the other days of the week.

I have started to back off on the weights and plan to increase them slowly over time.

If it will help I can post up my routine and what I eat.

Thanks for all your help.

-Ben.

I used to feel sick after a workout too. It's very important that you eat lots following your workout! Immediately after your workout, it's important to get carbs in. Simple carbs are the best. I keep a container of dates in my gym bag and eat about 4-5 of them while I'm in the locker room. As soon as I get home, I have a nutritious shake. Usually I have Vega, but a smoothie blended with fruit, veggies, juice, and protein works well too. About an hour after my workout, I eat again. Usually a bowl of oatmeal.

The sick feeling you get is most likely a result of your body trying to recuperate. Feed your body all the nutrients it needs to recover and you should feel better.