Beginner looking for some good advice on diet

Hi Guys, this is my first post. I have always wanted to turn vegan and also get into shape, and i've had a big turnaround in my life and have found the motivation to do both. I was very pleased to come across this website, and if you guys wouldn't mind i'd like some dieting advice.

The main thing i'd like to stress here is BUDGET. I am on a very tight budget. With that in mind, are there any tips you guys could give on easy ways to add calories? Hows the amino acid profile of this example looking? The given protein and calorie markers are based on reading nutrition on packets and estimating how much of something I eat at a time. Please feel free to point out if you thing i've over/underestimated any of the protein or Cal values.

I am a skinny 5"11 120 pound 21 year old. My only lifting experience came from a brief 4 week spell of an amateur bench in my room. Please bear in mind I live in the UK and don't have products available. But some good product recommendations would be good here. Maybe protein/calorie bars?

BREAKFAST - 8:00am

Bowl of oats with soya milk and dried currants and almonds - 20g/400cal

MORNING SNACK - 11:00am

Fruit smoothie with 30g Soya Protein - 30g/200cal

LUNCH - 2:00pm

pasta dish or Avacado Salad with bean burger and humous - 20g/500cal

AFTERNOON SCACK - 4:00pm

Humous/beans on toast and portion of nuts - 25g/400cal

DINNER - 7:00pm

Curry or stir fry or whatever dish with lots of veggies and rice - 20g/400cal

BEFORE BED - 10:00pm

Protein shake with flaxssed powder +sandwich or toast - 30g/300cal

Hey Glen!

I'm so glad you've had a turnaround in your life that's leading you to such positive changes!

On the budget thing, I suggest you to go to farmer's market in order to get fresh and cheap fruits and vegetables of the season. There's no better option for that.

Here in Chile we have this kind of stores called "Tostadurías" (I can't find a name for it in English) where you can find all kinds of dried fruits, seeds, legumes, grains and flours at the best price.

I've found that buying any of these products at supermarkets it's the WORST choice of all, at least in terms of budget.

Do you get bananas where you live? That's a cheap and calorie-dense food you might want to consider adding to your diet.

Now, in order for you to get specific feedback on your diet, you need to tell us what your goals are! I suppose you want to bulk, so I think that you need to add more calories to your diet. With just 2,200 calories a day you won't bulk much.

But, again, we need to know your goals in order to give specific advice.

I think that your diet, at least in terms of nutrition, is quite good. I would add more fruits and perhaps some more seeds here and there. You might want to add a glass of fruit-juice or even a smoothie along some of your meals.

Keep it up!

Samuel.

Hey Glen,

Awesome to hear about this turn around in your diet/lifestyle. I can offer a few pieces of advice !

I agree that you aren't getting enough calories. Slowly increase your caloric intake, and be very consistent with yoru eating, and you'll find a point of when you reach too much, or if you haven't eaten enough!

My advice:

Add more protein /fat to your morning.

peanut, or other nut butters are good and fairly inexpensive

Add more complex carbs throughout the day. Especially your snack

Oatmeal is dirt cheap, as is Brown Rice, and Quinoa is fairly reasonable.

• 3 weeks later...

BREAKFAST - 8:00am

Bowl of oats with soya milk and dried currants and almonds - 20g/400cal

MORNING SNACK - 11:00am

Fruit smoothie with 30g Soya Protein - 30g/200cal

add peanut butter to the shake - add a carb such as a slice whole grain bread or brown rice

LUNCH - 2:00pm

pasta dish or Avacado Salad with bean burger and humous - 20g/500cal

Have 2 bean burgers with avocado, salad

AFTERNOON SCACK - 4:00pm

Humous/beans on toast and portion of nuts - 25g/400cal

DINNER - 7:00pm

Curry or stir fry or whatever dish with lots of veggies and rice - 20g/400cal

BEFORE BED - 10:00pm

Protein shake with flaxssed powder +sandwich or toast - 30g/300cal

You're off to a good start. Just add more fat and an extra serving here and there, but you have the right idea. No need to be doing much cardio at all on your thin frame right now. Just get the calories higher and lift.