Plump Vegan Needing some Motivation

BarefootTom

Hi Everyone, my name is Tom, I love being barefoot, and currently my Wife and I live in the Boston area. I am here to try and up my motivation to loose weight and get my body into a healthy feeling and looking point for the first time in a long time.

I currently am at 260lbs, about 2 years ago I lost about 35lbs but since them I have stopped completely.

I have been Vegan for 3 years and Veg 4 years before that. I just can't seem to get motivated to get out and exercise or get into the gym. I love biking but I live in boston so I can only do that spring, summer and early fall.

So hopefully I will continually post on these forums and read advice from all of the healthier folks to keep me motivated and hopefully I can get my weight to a point where I am not embarrassed to take my shirt off!

The solution is simple. The reason you're fat is because you eat when you're not hungry. This is comfort eating, and can be a result of stress, boredom, loneliness, depression, or something else entirely. Step 1 is to switch your coping method. You are currently using food to cope; instead, try focusing on taking some action towards fixing the problem, even if you think you can't fix it. If there's no action to take, tell yourself that since this problem is unsolvable (at least for the time being) it's not worth your worry and you're not going to waste any effort even concerning yourself with it, including via coping.

Monday-Saturday I want you to only eat when you feel actual, physiological hunger. Real hunger is a slight burning sensation in your lower stomach, which is often accompanied by some growling noises. Next time you're rushing to the kitchen for a bag of potato chips, ask yourself, "Am I hungry?" Listen to your stomach. If the "hunger" was just in your head, it means you're about to comfort eat. So put down the chips and ask yourself what is causing you to feel the need to eat; what is it that you're trying to avoid dealing with? Are you just bored? If so, occupy yourself some other way.

Eat slowly, and gradually wait until the pleasure you get from the food starts to diminish. Food tastes better when you're hungry, and once you're not hungry anymore, it won't taste quite as good. When that happens, ask yourself, "Am I still hungry?" If not, you've eaten enough. Put the food away.

Sunday I want you to eat, eat, eat! The reason for this is simply to make sure your body doesn't go into the dreaded "starvation mode" and start hoarding calories. Every 7 days, show your body that you have plenty to eat, and your body will lose those extra pounds.

Hope this could be of some help. You do have something to look forward to: once you are thin and ready to start adding muscle, you will be ready to indulge your comfort eating each day to the fullest! Best of luck to you in your weight loss goals.

Oh, and I want to add something: You mention not being able to find the motivation to go to the gym. Cardio is extremely important to your health, but unless you do a LOT of it, it won't help you much to lose weight. Even the fastest runner only burns about 15 calories per minute.

Edited by aryan

Hi Tom the Barefoot Bostonese (lol, wouldn't know if that's anywhere near correct) friend. I hope that your quest for leaner body will be succesful. I know that motivation is something you won't find from books or can't buy from a store and so it's something difficult to achieve and keep. I wish you well and good luck with your goals. Lets achieve them together!

welcome. I have two things you need to buy and USE. The first is a food scale. You probably already own measuring cups. Use the scale and the measuring cups to measure what you are eating. That will cost you about five bucks. The second is a cheap notebook. Cost less than two bucks. Write down everything you eat including calories. I can pretty much guarantee if you do nothing else, then you will lose some weight.

• 4 weeks later...