Bodybuilding and immunity.

Hi everyone,

First it is nice to be back over on this forum. I visited a few standard bodybuilding forums and those guys, or many of them feel I eat like a girl.

I hate that attitude.

I have been fighting Babesiosis and Lyme disease for a while now. Babesiosis is becoming more common in partrs of the country and fairl widespread in the northeast now. I live in Southeastern PA and have had plenty of tick bits but it finally caught up with my. I have had numerous tests, biopsis, you name it. PLnety of positive Babesia results and I have the symptoms. I was on medication for it for 5 months and I started to get better. It was wonderful. We stopped treatment at 6 months because my doctor finds most people are good at that point. However, my tests still came back positive months later so we are starting up again. Problem is, the organism tends to live most int he red blood cells and you normally have to wait till the cells go through the full lifecycle before you are free of them. Bottom line, is if the sysmtoms exist and the tests are positive, keep treating. I can't live like this so I hope I get better. The pain is so bad in the legs and arms, I tend to lift very light weight these days. Sometimes my hands and feet turn purple as well to add to the mess.

My doctor said to be careful with weight lifting due to the stress on the immune system. she then said, ever notice how body builders are always sick with colds? Not me, weird. You?

Anyway, I have to take it easy because of the terrible pain in my joints and muscles. I have to mostly use machines now and with light weights. For now, gone are the free weight days and heavy lifting days.

I was alo asked to not do cardio for a while other than walks due to the T cell suppression caused by cardio.

Thoughts on this anyone?

Thanks

Rich

Edited by boardn10

Agreed.

Exercise does not make your bodies immune system weaken. Nor does bodybuilding. Poor nutrition does. If you eat a clean, healthy diet and exercise you will only make your body and immune system stronger. Frankly I find it ridiculous that a health care practitioner can even utter that to a patient.

ba⋅be⋅si⋅o⋅sis  /bəˌbiziˈoʊsɪs/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [buh-bee-zee-oh-sis] Show IPA

Use Babesiosis in a Sentence

See web results for Babesiosis

See images of Babesiosis

–noun Veterinary Pathology. any of several tick-borne diseases of cattle, dogs, horses, sheep, and swine, caused by a babesia protozoan and characterized by fever and languor.

I don't see where it say it is a human affliction.

Edited by Vegan Joe

From my research I have found that moderate exercise boosts the immune system. Serious over-training will likely suppress the immune system for a few days to a week. Heavy exercise when ill with anything more serious than a cold is probably a bad idea. When ill, one should take it easy and not do anything more vigorous than a nice outdoor walk. Some folks at my gym take glutamine to boost the immune system if they train really hard. I am thinking about trying glutamine because I train pretty hard and am around tons of people, some of whom probably have swine flu. Also, raw garlic (chop it up and swallow like a pill) is great for the immune system!

–noun Veterinary Pathology. any of several tick-borne diseases of cattle, dogs, horses, sheep, and swine, caused by a babesia protozoan and characterized by fever and languor.

I don't see where it say is a human affliction.

Why would you post on this thread just to imply that Boardn10 doesn't know what he is talking about? He is the one with the sickness so he and his doc probably have a better idea of what is going on than whatever dictionary you looked up the term in. And for the record, wikipedia states that, although rare, human cases do indeed occur. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babesiosis

best of luck Boardn10

I don't see where it say is a human affliction.

Why would you post on this thread just to imply that Boardn10 doesn't know what he is talking about? He is the one with the sickness so he and his doc probably have a better idea of what is going on than whatever dictionary you looked up the term in. And for the record, wikipedia states that, although rare, human cases do indeed occur. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babesiosis

best of luck Boardn10

Why would I do anything? Because "I ams what I ams", and the question I was looking for an answer to was addresses to the OP. But thanks for your kind reply. Maybe the OP could fill us in a little more about it. Say by the way I see your from SC, was wondering if you knew a vegan named Caruso? You can PM me.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all! Unfortunatley I've had to stop bodybuilding for now. I haven't done so in quite a few months due to pain and other problems. Hopefully, I can get better and start up again. It is really frustrating because lifting, bodybuilding has always been a huge part of my life and that hole is empty now.