Hi from Colorado...

delabeaux

My name is Ben. I recently became a vegan (in diet) about 3 months ago from reading one of the few (in my experience thus far) well supported books on the subject. Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease by Caldwell Esselstyn for anyone who cares.

I did it to lower my cholesterol based on my family heart history... and I lost about 30 pounds thus far and my total cholesterol is down 100 points, LDL is down 100 points... and I no longer have heartburn, which I had frequently.

I'm going to be starting a lifting program / cardio / and this site fell in my lap. I look forward to getting this post approved ;p.

My diet is meat free, egg free, dairy free. It suggested (by the book above), to resist processed foods, excessive sugar/alcohol. It also advocates no added oils, especially for those with cardiac history.

His son has a 'diet' book as well that is much more lax on oils and food with sat. fats (nuts/avocados).

So, its alot of fruits, veggies, grains legumes. I haven't been totally 'strict' on the oils and will occasionally have virgin olive oil in things.

His son convinced his fellow firefighters to go vegan. There was a show recently with him doing a cooking demo. I can't remember which one though.

If you need suggestions on places to eat, let me know. There aren't a lot, but the ones around are quite good.

I live in Fort Collins... we have two 'vegan' restaurants. But if you know places in/dear Denver, that'd be cool to know.

He (Dr. Esselstyn), and his son were on CBS Sunday morning which is what prompted me to get his book.

I liked the fact that he is a physician, he did a 20 year study, and he includes photographs of athrosclerosis regression and complete reversal. What's more is he has some of his research in the Journal of Cardiology.

I had considered going vegan a while before this but its hard to find solid support (maybe I didn't look hard enough), that has literal proof of its effectiveness.... I guess that's habit being a micro major ;p

Here is the Fort Collins Vegan Meetup.

Nice people.

Tasty Harmony is great. The best raw vegan fetticini alfredo I have ever had!

In Denver there is Watercourse Foods & City O City. Both Lacto Ovo vegetarian. www.watercoursefoods.com

In Boulder, there is the Leaf Vegetarian Restaurant. Pricey, but good. Not as good as Tasty Harmony.

Also, VG Burgers is a 100% Vegan burger joint. Vegan chili cheese fries, ice cream, meatballs, etc. It isn't the healthiest, but if you want a junk food fix, this is the place.

www.Happycow.com is a good resources to find places around the country.

One of the best books written on vegan nutrition is "The China Study".

A great website for vegan medical advice is www.PCRM.org

Hey Ben. Not sure if you're down in Denver too often but there are a few restaurants that'll cater to vegans. My favorite is City O City. You can get a number of gourmet vegan pizzas or some vegan buffalo wings (with vegan ranch). It's damn incredible. Bring your non-vegan friends to this place, I've never had anyone disappointed with the food.