weight loss and protein as a vegan.

soulrage25

Hello, My name is Brian. I have been vegan for about a month now and have lost about 4-5 pounds. Is this normal? I feel healthy and eat the same as before I was vegan except no meat or animal products. I walk at about 145 pounds and am 5' 4" so how much protein should I get in a day? I was told about 70 grams of protein without working out and up to 100 grams of protein if I work out. I use Rice Protein and hemp seeds as a staple.

I imagine it is normal to lose some weight as some of the pictures of the fit vegans look close to how I currently look.

Thanks,

Brian

Hey Brian,

Welcome to our community!

I would bump the protein up...I like to do about a gram of protein per pound of bodyweight, if not 1.5 grams per pound of bodyweight....that will also bump up calories and as long as you're pretty consistent nutritionally and with training you should be able to put on weight rather than lose it. I'd focus on whole foods and then some supplements and other foods but try to get a lot of greens, grains, fruits, beans, legumes, nuts, seeds, vegetables, etc.

Great to have you here and welcome to the Team!

-Robert

Alright, thanks for the info! I can bump up the protein, more beans, increase the amount of grains I eat, and I imagine as I get more used to being vegan, it will all just fall into place.

After this torn muscle in my right side fully heals, I will start hitting the weights but I may wait two weeks just to be absolutely sure.

If I use Rice protein, do you recommend a specific brand? I usually use Nutribiotic, NOW, or Jay Robb because they are in my budget.

Thanks,

Brian