55% Oppose Penalty for Not Buying Health Insurance

Vegan Joe

OOOOOhhhhhh BIG BROTHER. ("Government" if you haven't read the novel 1984)

So I don't get it, does this mean that if I or someone else, or an illegal immigrant final gets sick and goes to the emergency room, their going to charge us $750.00 for not having had health insurance. And is that before or after they take care of us??? Or will they just mail the bill to our legal residence. Sorry it's just that Gov't is such a comic tragedy.

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/current_events/healthcare/october_2009/55_oppose_penalty_for_not_buying_health_insurance

The health care reform plan working its way through the U.S. Senate now includes a proposal that requires young and healthy Americans to either buy health insurance or pay a $750 annual penalty for not having it.

But a new Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey shows that 55% of U.S. voters oppose that proposal. Just 32% of voters think young and healthy Americans should be forced to purchase health insurance or else pay a penalty. Fourteen percent (14%) are not sure.

Among voters ages 18 to 29, 29% favor the provision, known as “the individual mandate,” while 57% are opposed to it.

(Want a free daily e-mail update? If it's in the news, it's in our polls). Rasmussen Reports updates are also available on Twitter or Facebook.

Sixty-one percent (61%) of men oppose the enforced health insurance proposal, compared to 50% of women. African-American voters are nearly twice as likely as whites to support it.

As on many questions related to the contentious health care debate, there is a noticeable partisan divide. Seventy-seven percent (77%) of Republicans and 59% of voters not affiliated with either major political party oppose requiring young and healthy Americans to either buy health insurance or pay an annual penalty. Among Democrats, on the other hand, 46% think the provision is a good idea, while 33% oppose it.

Millions of young people historically have chosen to avoid the cost of health insurance by gambling on their general good health at that age. The individual mandate is intended to push them into buying health insurance.

In a survey in May, 31% of Americans said even those who are young and healthy should be required to buy health coverage. Fifty-six percent (56%) disagreed, saying if someone doesn’t want to buy insurance, they shouldn't have to.

While most voters oppose the “individual mandate” amendment to the health care plan, 59% favor putting a provision ...

I only pay $600 a year for health insurance. Doesn't make much sense.

For individual health insurance, not through an employer? Is it crappy coverage?

Yes, individual. Define crappy? It covers me just fine. I never go to the doctor, so I don't need something that pays for office visits. But if I end up with $100K in hospital bills for something, it keeps me from having to pay.

I only pay $600 a year for health insurance. Doesn't make much sense.

For individual health insurance, not through an employer? Is it crappy coverage?

Yes, individual. Define crappy? It covers me just fine. I never go to the doctor, so I don't need something that pays for office visits. But if I end up with $100K in hospital bills for something, it keeps me from having to pay.

Crappy meaning zero office visits, high deductable, low limit, no emergency room coverage, etc.