Vegans/Vegetarians That Smoke

Ryofire

Personally I think not smoking sets a good example to non-vegans. I live in a Latino neighborhood called Pilsen here in Chicago. Across the street from me are the only um...non latino people on my block( bunch of young twenty somethings in one apartment. ) who are out to save the poor brown people. Makes me gag. Really. But that's another post. They walk around with holier than thou attitudes on their single speed bikes while thumbing their noses at my cheapie bike I got at the used store. Smoke all the time outside their porch and invite their bewildered neighbors to anarchist meetings. (Yeah, I got a flyer) . And on almost every corner is a tamale stand....

Once while I was jogging past a tamale stand, I spotted a few of the hipsters telling people they were killing animals and participating in the capitalist system that was keeping brown people down.

I just don't think that's the way to go about it...

Telling them they are killing animals while smoking in their faces. Okay..only one person from their group was smoking but still- just a bad,bad example.

Let's just say the message didn't go through....

Now...I don't even plan on telling people I abstain from meat. But almost everyday...like today when I went out for a run, a woman stopped me.

She asked me(as have others) what exercises I do and what I eat.

You think non-vegans are going to go up to skinny 20-something smokers and ask that? Doubt it.

Anyways...the woman said if it worked for me she wanted to try.

So I'm workin it. I'm workin it.

You set a good example and those hipster punks should be ashamed of themselves.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My entire family smokes..

When I moved back home with my folks, the stress of the household got to me and it was sooo tempting to just go back to an old habit and take a puff off a cigarette. For anyone who's never smoked, when you take a puff of a cigarette, the carbon dioxide gives you a sense of euphoria. You may feel like passing out almost, but it's like a sense of calm has come over you. However, nicotine speeds up your heart rate, so that feels a little strange. That feeling alone is enough to get you hooked because with that puff of a smoke, your problems don't seem to bother you that much.

I'm in the middle of quitting smoking for the second time in my life.

My entire family smokes..

When I moved back home with my folks, the stress of the household got to me and it was sooo tempting to just go back to an old habit and take a puff off a cigarette. For anyone who's never smoked, when you take a puff of a cigarette, the carbon dioxide gives you a sense of euphoria. You may feel like passing out almost, but it's like a sense of calm has come over you. However, nicotine speeds up your heart rate, so that feels a little strange. That feeling alone is enough to get you hooked because with that puff of a smoke, your problems don't seem to bother you that much.

I'm in the middle of quitting smoking for the second time in my life.

Good luck with that.