Hemp Flour

Stenno

VJ is right but hemp protein concentrate (most common form of hemp protein) is very similar to the hemp flour and the two can often replace eachother in recipes. Hemp protein isolate (less common) has totallt other properties in my experience.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone tried mixing some hemp flour with water and drinking it ?

I was thinking of buying some to try this, just because its ridiculously cheap, (compared to protein powders) and high in protein/ good fats...

(As far as I know ? Does anyone have the basic nutritional stats for hemp flour ?)

Hemp seed protein powder contains 45% total protein, the most usable vegan source. It is also very digestible, with 65% being a globular protein called edestin and 35% albumin protein, more than any other plant. Hemp seed contains all 21 known amino acids. Contains undetectable amounts of THC, the addictive and doping substance found in hemp, so you can be assured there will be no negative effects.

Hemp seeds are the highest protein food on earth (besides algaes). Hemp protein is high in bioavailable (absorbable) protein with 65% globular edestin and 35% albumin protein (globular), having also a high quantity of sulphur-bearing amino acids such as methionine and cystine. These can be immediately used by the body to build strong hair, nails, muscle and connective tissue. It is also the only known food with the exact ratio of essential fatty acids (1 part omega 3: 3 parts omega 6) which are strong antioxidants and help burn fat. It is also the highest known source of gamma linolenic acid (GLA), a super omega 6 fatty acid with anti-inflammatory properties.

I drink it in water all the time, it's gross.Add a tiny bit of stevia leaf powder to it and it tastes way better.The flour has as much protein as most protein powders so i don't see why people would want isolates and concentrates.It would cost way more too.

Cheers for the response..

However, I believe we were actually talking about "Hemp flour" which is still quite high in protein and probably better for you than other flours, but different from the hemp protein powders ( and about the 10th of the cost...)

I couldn't find the basic nutrition stats for it on the net but might try looking a bit more...

The flour has as much protein as most protein powders so i don't see why people would want isolates and concentrates.It would cost way more too.

.. Hah whoops, just read that bit!

Cool so you drink the flour... I didnt think it would taste that good, dont't worry.

Any idea about the grams of protein/carb/fats per 100g of it ? Also, you live in Aus too right, where do you buy it from ?

Cheers

I get it cheap from www.puredelighthemp.com.au for $10 a kilo or you can get more for cheaper like 10 kgs for $110.They sell it legally because they say it's for dog food etc.The laws against it are wrong anyway.

The exact nutrition info varies but the protein is between 30g and 45g per hundred grams.

Here's the aminos per 30g

Amino Acid Profile for Hemp SeedAmino Acid Per 30g Serving

Alanine 540mg

Arginine* 1494mg

Aspartic Acid 1240mg

Cystine 204mg

Glutamic Acid 2097mg

Glycine 546mg

Histidine* 342mg

Isoleucine* 492mg

Leucine* 828mg

Lysine* 486mg

Methionine* 276mg

Phenylalanine* 552mg

Proline 510mg

Serine 612mg

Threonine* 417mg

Tryptophan* 147mg

Tyrosine 387mg

Valine* 609mg

They also sell it at edenhealthfoods.com.au but the price is 10x as much even though they get it from puredelighthemp in the first place.