Iowan Powerlifter

Adena

Hi everyone. My name is Adena. I'm 29 years old and I have been vegan for seven years. I flirted with powerlifting about two years ago and then lost my job and couldn't afford a gym membership anymore, then recently at my new job I got fitness reimbursement so I could once again afford a gym. Aaaanyway...I'm definitely a beginner at this powerlifting thing, but it has been fun and rewarding so far. I'm currently making noob gains, but I recently passed my short term goal of being able to squat and deadlift over my bodyweight. Hopefully sometime soon my bench will get better.

I'm trying to do this on a much healtheir, more natural diet these days. Even though it's more expensive, I've been buying only organic food for quite a while. Here's a typical example of my daily diet:

Breakfast: oatmeal with applesauce, bananas, blueberries and maybe a little soymilk; green tea

Snack: almonds and carrot sticks

Lunch: lentil stew with yams, coconut milk, curry, ginger, and all that good stuff; broccoli

Snack: toast with peanut butter

Supper: chickpea and spinach stir fry over brown rice; rooibos tea

I'm trying to have sugar and coffee only on the weekends for now. I miss it, but it hasn't been that bad. Also, I know I don't eat much for a powerlifter, but I only weigh 124 and I'm 5'1" soooo.. yeah. Definitely a beginner. I shudder to think how much I'll be spending on groceries when I put on some weight!

Welcome!

When I spend more on groceries I like to tell myself I am investing in my future health. Rather than spend my money on other things (clothes, movies, whatever) that are short-term, I'm spending it on something that will be with me for the rest of my life (my body).

I gave up coffee a couple of years ago and it can be tough! Hang in there!

Thanks, guys!

One other thing that helps if you just miss the taste of coffee is Teeccino, but it's really expensive. So for now, I just have green tea in the mornings and coffee on the weekends. I figure two days out of seven isn't too bad.

So I forgot to post a little bit about what my training schedule looks like. Right now I'm doing Jim Wendler's 5 / 3 / 1. You can read more about that here: http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/how_to_build_pure_strength

Before that I did Bill Starr's 5x5, which I can't find an article to explain, but it's basically a good beginner program, with lots of emphasis on the key compound lifts: bench press, squats, and deadlifts. A lot of repetition helps you to get your form where it should be.

Welcome!

When I spend more on groceries I like to tell myself I am investing in my future health. Rather than spend my money on other things (clothes, movies, whatever) that are short-term, I'm spending it on something that will be with me for the rest of my life (my body).

I gave up coffee a couple of years ago and it can be tough! Hang in there!

Do you post on the ppk? I recognize that screen name!