what if I can't do a pull-up!?

So when I use to go to my school gym, I used the assisted pull up machine, which was great! I liked being able to take off half my body weight and do a slow full extended pull up/chin up. I don't have access to the gym anymore, and am very active on my own. Today I just put up a pull up bar in my apartment, in fact, right on my bedroom doorway so that every time I enter/leave I have to practice! The only problem is that I can't do a full pull up on my own... do you think doing negatives would eventually allow me to do one? If i jump I can pull myself up, and hold myself there, but then i madly shake and as soon as i drop a few inches, i can't hold myself anymore.

I need tips! Please help.. thank you

Another alternative is to put a chair slightly in front of you, put your feet flat on it and use your legs to assist you. The nice thing about that is that, as you get stronger, you can just start using a bit less leg strength and start letting your arms and back do more of the work.

Both of these are great suggestions. One thing that helped with my pull-ups is something called the "flexed arm hang." You grab hold of the pull-up bar, jump up to get your chin over the bar, and you hold yourself up there as long as possible. Eventually, as you slowly come down, you will be able to pull yourself back up.