I'm a new vegan baby!

Nessa

My first attempt to become vegetarian was last June 2009.. I did ok up until I decided to hire a personal trainer. She was highly concerned about "where would i get my protein from?." And so was I!!!! So, I went back to eating chicken and fish and wasn't happy about doing that.. I started Crossfit training in Feb 2010.. The two trainers there were advising everyone to do the Zone Diet. All the while I'm was trying to find ways to get back to a vegetarian lifestyle... I ran across the dvd "Eating" and found out that Carl Lewis and Lori Ann Lloyd were both vegetarian and they both broke records while eating this way.. From that day on I have been researching this new lifestyle and now I want to be VEGAN! I haven't had a cup of milk an a year.. I can't say the same about cheese, eggs and sourcream.. I can so that I don't eat it as much as I once did. My only problem is... I'm starving!! I'm starving myself fat because I'm not eating enough of carbs proteins and good fats in one meal. I'm always hungry and struggle whenvever I look into the fridge and my choices are limited.. I need help.. I need balance and I need a meal plan!!! I need supplements...

I am a 37 yr old married mother of 1.. She's 17yrs old and college bound!!! Yay! I was a cheerleader in high school probably weighing in at 95 to 100lbs senior year. I'm 4 foot 11 with heels 5 foot even.. I weighed 137 fullterm with my daughter.. I now weigh 118lbs the largest that I've ever been... Please help me.. LOL!

Welcome! That's great that you found your way to veganism! You definitely don't want to deprive yourself and feel like you are starving though. You want to make sure you have a healthy diet full of things like fruit, vegetables, legumes, whole grains, and you can include things like tofu and what-not. What does a typical day's diet look like for you? Maybe we can suggest some things to add in so you are not so hungry.

And I would definitely suggest having a wide variety of healthy vegan food available so you don't feel so limited in your choices. Have snacks like cut-up/washed veggies + hummus or some fruit ready to go.

Thanks for your response... I see my little muscle mass slowly fading away.. :{ Lets see Breakfast oatmeal with fruit and a tbl spoon of ground flax and cinnamon

snack mixed fruit with hemp protein powder. If I'm lucky enough to have a lunch it would be a big salad (spring mix bag) with cuccumber, peppers, strawberries, and unsalted sunflower seeds.. Dinner may have been lunch and to be honest.. That's it for me.. I may substitute with other veggies but for the most part that's it unless I grab a veggie burger from burgerking or the local sub shop..

My food list.. oatmeal, soymilk, frozen and fresh fruits and veggies. Not to much pasta and I hardly ever eat bread. I seriously think that I'm starving myself fat and I need to do something about it fast.. I have never tried tofu so that would be something new to me.. I would love to gain muscle mass and I just don't see myself gaining it at this point.. I will check your food blog.. Thanks again!

Try buying new food products you never ate before, just buy everything you see in the store that is vegan and have fun. Search the web for some vegan recipes and try them . I would advise to drop the veggie burger from burgerking, which probably contain crap, and if you want do veggie dogs or burgers at home. If not pre-made, you can do the burgers yourself, with beans or lentils, tofu or seeds and nuts, veggies, spices, until you find the right consistency.

Add variety to your salads. Drink fruit smoothies, etc. Add meals that will make you feel full and will add carbs and proteins like rice with beans or lentills, avocado sandwiches, etc...

Its hard to see muscle mass fading away unless you have a very low body fat %. I used to think the same think when I went vegan. My arms and legs all got a lot smaller. But I was well over 30% bodyfat, and a lot of fat can be in the muscle making it appear bigger. You need to have a body fat analysis done before and after weight loss to determine if you actually lost muscle or just fat.

@ Ducati Thanks... I will get my body fat tested.. everything is getting smaller.. my belly is still the same size??? not seeing a huge diff there..

@ "IYM" I am willing to try different things.. My husband shakes his head at me everytime because I'll buy things and don't like it.. WASTING MONEY! LOL! I like foods bursting with flavor!