How to get to 180+ grams of protein.

Devine

After explaining vegan haters that we got many amino acids and protein in nuts fruits etc, when we get down to numbers - its true, but not for bodybuilders..

Before i became a vegan, the time i was still blind, i got 180+ protein per a day by eating chicken breast, tuna fish and protein powder..

Now.. im kinda stuck.. as one who is doing cutting i cannot eat so much fat from peanuts etc..

so all i can do is eat 6 scoops of protein aday which... isnt so optimal..

i know alot about normal body building but as a vegan.. i know nothing!

enlighten me!

thanks alot,

Devine

You can find the Goya brand of red lentils in pretty much any supermarket. IMO, the easiest to digest and tastiest of all legumes/beans along with the best protein/carb ratio. They have 13 grams of protein and 30 carbs per 1/4 cup serving. Extra firm tofu has quite high protein content, I don't eat it everyday but a couple times a week. If your worried about the estrogen aspect to it just combine it with broccoli/cauliflower and cabbage because they contain anti-estrogens. Wheat gluten is very high in protein, its good if your digestion system can handle it.

Powdered peanut butter is a lot different and contains 5 grams of protein and only 1.5 grams of fat at only 2 tablespoons. Here's a link to a site that carries it http://www.bellplantation.com/nutrition

Nutritional yeast is great for protein and b12. 8 grams of protein for 2 tablespoons. http://www.calories-nutrition.buddyslim.com/nutritional-yeast/

And of course trueprotein.com has some high quality pea protein or rice protein. Also, you may already know this but carbohydrates are protein sparing, you may need to eat more than bodybuilders who eat meat to make up for that gap. Due to high carbohydrates you may find you need more cardio weekly, but depends on your composition.

Hey it's easier than you'd think. I weigh around 90kg & aim for 2g protein per kg of bodyweight, so get at least 180g daily as follows:

7:30am - oats + soya milk + pumpkins seeds - 25g

10am - shake with pea protein, cocoa & soya milk - 40g

12:30pm - peanut butter sandwich - 25g

3pm - shake again (same as above on rest day, on gym day I chuck in some dextrose too) - 40g

5:30pm - pile of nuts/seeds - 15g

8:00pm - dinner e.g. pasta dish, curry, chilli (plenty of legumes, tofu, good carbs etc) - 30-40g depending on exact dish

10pm - bedtime snack e.g. homemade hummus, nuts, glass of milk - 10-20g depending on how much I eat

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/planet32.htm

"Di-Indolin is a substance believed to be an active cruciferous substance (broccoli, cauliflower, kale) for promoting beneficial estrogen metabolism. Di-Indolin helps increase, by 75%, the "good" 2 hydroxy estrogens, which have an affinity to bind blood proteins (SHBG). The effect of this is to leave greater levels of free testosterone."