Greetings from Australia! (Introduction)

Nicholas_Weir

Hello Everyone!

My name is Nicholas and I am 16 and live in Australia. On the 1st of Janyary 2011 i became vegetarian (coincidentally my scenario is similar to Robert Cheeke's) as the reason for it was respect on my younger sisters behalf; who was already vegan. Then after being on the vegetarian diet for about 3 months (March 9th I think) I became vegan. I have wanted to join this site for about 2 weeks now and have finally gotten the courage to do so. I am so excited to get to (from my mother and know new people on this forum as well as hopefully recieve some support. My mother fully supports me in being vegan and respects this lifestyle that i have humbly adopted. she herself wants to become vegetarian (not vegan though, as she says she could neve give up milk) My mum is a chef and always makes us vegan dishes for dinner. My sister obviousely supports me as I support her also. However ever since i became vegetarian my dad despised me for it. and when i gave up animal products all together he hasn't really done anything but criticize me for it. He is a butcher, therefore I grew up in a household where i used to eat it for lunch and dinner every day. He makes comments to me when he see's me like: "Nick you look sickly!" or "You need to put more weight on", "Veganism is stupid! You're going to make yourself weak". But the one that hit me more than the others was "You'r never going to put on muscle being vegan!". I didn't believe him so I searched online for vegan bodybuilding and that was when I found this site.

Every time i think i have gained muscle I get real proud inside and then my dad goes and says to me " Nick, you're getting way too boney, you look disgusting!".

So I will try to post some pics soon of my physique so I can get some advice on how much i should be eating/training and what not.

My main goal is to gain muscle mass and get a little more defined to prove my dad wrong and to also be proud of a strong fit body.

So, hello again to all!

Thanks!

My routine, quite basic mind you consists mostly of compound exercises as i was beginning to lose weight on a split with isolation exercises.

right now it looks like this:

Mon-

Bench: 10 8 6

Incline Flys: 10 8 6

Squats: 10 8 6

Deadlift: 10 10 10

Shoulder Press: 10 8 6

Weighted Oblique crunch: 10 10 10

Weighted leg raises: 10 10 10

Weighted Crunches: 10 10 10

Tues-

30 min cycle

Wed-

Thurs-

30 min cycle

Fri-

Sat-

30 min cycle

Sun-

Rest

Welcome Nicholas!

First of all, I'm really glad you joined up because you're now in the perfect place to excel and do the things that are important to you. I can sympathize with your overbearing dad a little. My dad was like that when I was a kid, but luckily by your age I had gotten pretty big so he relented. Your dad has left you no choice but to prove him wrong! And he is wrong, as the many, many success stories here will tell you. You HAVE TO get Robert's book - it is absolutely a perfect guide for your situation. Robert goes through his own story in his book, and since you have a similar starting point it couldn't be a better fit. Get it and read it as soon as possible (this is not a sales pitch).

I've been able to gain about 25lbs of lean muscle on a plant based diet, but my story isn't nearly as inspiring as Robert's because like I said I was already pretty big at the start. Your routine looks solid, but I would strongly suggest you cut out the cardio except maybe one short day a week. You need to hoard all the calories you can to force your body to change. The single most important tip I can give you as a trainer though is EAT. Eat a lot, consistently. It has to be everyday, and it has to be so much that your body has no choice but to change. Get plenty of protein from beans, nuts and whole grains and avoid junk so you don't get fat, but mainly just eat! Do this and lift heavy and soon you'll be the fittest and strongest guy in the family!

Thanks Derek!

Yeah I have been meaning to get Roberts book. I'm definately gonna buy it tomorrow!

Ok, I will be sure to cut the cardio out and try to eat more food!

Oh and for my post above (my routine) I forgot to write down my back exercises:

Bent over rows: 10 8 6

Pulldowns: 12 10 8

Pullups: 8 6 4

Your routine looks solid, but I would strongly suggest you cut out the cardio except maybe one short day a week. You need to hoard all the calories you can to force your body to change. The single most important tip I can give you as a trainer though is EAT. Eat a lot, consistently. It has to be everyday, and it has to be so much that your body has no choice but to change. Get plenty of protein from beans, nuts and whole grains and avoid junk so you don't get fat, but mainly just eat! Do this and lift heavy and soon you'll be the fittest and strongest guy in the family!
Absolutely agree here.

Be sure to consistently add load to your exercises as well. Set/rep schemes mean nothing if you don't know how to increase the weight effectively. And you don't get stronger/bigger lifting the same weight you've already done.