Birthdays and Valentines

Comet

One of the main problems I'm facing is that on the above days people eat chocolate and cake.

I know of Cliff and Luna bars - which are much better tasting than chocolate bars - but also more expensive.

I was wondering if there is such a thing as vegan cake + chocolate, and where I would find it - I live in Virginia.

Thanks

There is a company called Allison's Gourmet that sells definitely cookies. She has a cookie of the month club. I believe she may do chocolates now also. If you check out vegweb.com I have seem ads for a company that sells vegan pies and cakes that are delivered to you. I also have a recipe for the most awesome vegan chocolate cake with a chocolate glaze and strawberry coulis. I can send it if you want. I usually make it for my children's birthdays and all of our friends and family can not believe it is vegan.

Lisa

If you are pressed for time, something quick and easy you could make are chocolate covered strawberries. Buy some vegan chocolate chips (go to your supermarket or health food store - look at the ingredients, etc.) Get some strawberries (not the fish spliced strawberry ones ).

*******Note**** Make them the same day you want to give them to your sweetie and/or others.

Melt the chocolate slowly (if you don't have a double boiler, fill a pan with water and put a bowl on top of the water. Fill the bowl with chocolate chips). Pick the best strawberries and when the chocolate has melted, dip them into it. Set them aside and let them cool - do not put them in the refrigerator.

If you don't want to cook -- there's a wonderful bakery called Sticky Fingersin the DC area which is close to VA.

As an alternative, I found this place in Richmond, VA called Black Sheep Bakery, but, since I've never been there, I can't vouch for their products.

Two more homemade treats.

Vegan Peanut Butter Cups

1/2 cup vegan margarine

3/4 cup peanut butter

3/4 cup graham cracker wafer crumbs

1/4 cup turbinado sugar

1 cup chocolate chips

1/4 cup soy milk

1/4 cup peanuts, chopped

12 muffin cup liners, foil ones work best

In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt the margarine. Stir in the peanut butter, graham crumbs, and sugar. Mix well. Spoon about 2 tablespoons of the cracker mixture into muffin tins lined with cupcake liners.

In another small saucepan on medium heat, melt the chocolate and milk together until completely melted, stirring often. Spoon chocolate mixture on top of the cracker mixture. If desired, garnish with nuts. Allow to set in the fridge for 6-8 hours before serving.

=====

MadCat submitted this recipe for quick & easy cheesecake. I modified it by making it in muffin cups for individual treats.

Vegan Cheese Cake

graham cracker crust:

>1-1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs

>2 tablespoons granulated sugar

>6 tablespoons Earth Balance, melted

filling:

>8 ounce container Tofutti Cream Cheese

>1 package vanilla Jello instant pudding mix

>1 cup soy milk

Line 12 muffin cups with liners -- foil ones work best. Make the graham cracker mixture & put about 2 tablespoons into the bottom of each liner & press. Place in fridge while you make the filling.

Mix cream cheese, pudding mix & soy milk in blender. Pour cheese mixture over the cracker mixture. Chill overnight.

To make more Valentine-y top with a few raspberries.