Powerlifter wanting to go vegan

Hello everyone!!

For the past year and a half, I have been following a bodybuilding routine. This month, I switched over to a Sheiko routine and am planning to get into competitive (raw & natural) powerlifting. I am already very strong for a female, thanks to my long experience bodybuilding, and am really looking forward to this new phase in my athletic career!

Here are my questions.

If there are any other vegan powerlifters here (I know I'm sort of going out on a limb here! LOL), how much protein do you consume? I currently weigh about 140lb and consume 140g of protein/day. (I've just simply carried over nutrition from my bodybuilding phase -- I haven't changed it at all yet.)

What do you all do about your lifting belt? I've been trying to find a vegan belt that's not made with any animal products and which is also approved by the IPF/USAPL...and I am NOT having any luck at all.

I think that's it for now! I should mention that I am currently an ovo-pescetarian and will probably be making the transition somewhat slowly so I don't blow up my GI system O_O

I've read some of your blog, unless you're planning on breaking records at your first meet I wouldn't recommend cutting to make a weight class. If you lose weight weeks before a comp chances are you're going to lose strength, and most meet's will have you weigh in the same day so cutting water isn't really going to be an option unless you want to feel like death (and lose strength for the day). Just concentrate on setting your own numbers to beat in future.

However, if records are up for grabs in any lift (or total) by all means go for it.

Dave Tate is undoubtedly a legend, but if you read his article here he doesn't claim to know much about nutrition, and keep in mind all the strong guys he's talking about will be on juice. http://articles.elitefts.com/articles/training-articles/efs-classic-the-eight-keys-a-complete-guide-to-maximal-strength-development/ (check nutrition section).

You can build muscle and get strong eating just about anything, clean or not. And there will be a lot of really strong guys with different methods. You look like you've had a lot of success building muscle already and seem to know what you're doing.

You should start a training log on here

Thank you so much!! Especially for that link! I literally spent probably about 10 hours in the past two weeks TRYING to find vegan alternatives and was just about to say, Screw it I'll just lift with chalk! LOL. Thank you thank you thank you.

I've been training for about 2 years, jungle -- but the first 6 months was really worthless; I had almost no idea what I was doing!! So I guess you could just say a year and a half I should also say I weigh about 135-140lbs depending on the day so really I'm not even at 2x my bodyweight yet!

I don't think I will cut leading up to my first meet; 135-140 is where my body always wants to be anyway so I think I'll just stay where I am and just focus on getting really strong. I AM thinking it'd be a good idea to participate in a meet at the end of this first 13-week Sheiko plan so that I can kind of get those first-meet mistakes out of the way. Any thoughts on that?

I will make a log!

• 2 weeks later...