Sprinting. Wat.

Cellar Yeti

What exactly are HIIT sprinting protocols? I've read anything from 15-60sec with up to 3 min rest between sprints and even walking/jogging in between sprints.

So what it be? Currently I do 15sec sprints at 100% effort with 2min rest for 20-25 minutes, basically until I am wiped. But was also doing 1 min sprints at less than 100% with 2 min jogging 'rest' for 30-45 min.

So, what it be? Combo of both?

Also, distraction squirrels.

http://i.imgur.com/1wXjy.jpg

Also, distraction squirrels.

http://i.imgur.com/1wXjy.jpg

Exquisitely adorable. I'm using "Distraction Squirrels" as my new buzzword for things I can use to cheer me up. Thanks for that.

On the HIIT, think "fartlek." http://www.coolrunning.com.au/expert/1997c002.shtml Also called Speed Play, it's a more self-directed and instinctual approach to interval training that works best for experienced athletes like yourself. As you know, one size does not fit all. Nobody's got a body like you do and no one on this planet knows yours better. Some days you're a gazelle, some days you're King Kong. Give yourself the freedom to run on the gazelle days and lift like a mofo on the Kong ones. Writing down a set time and/or distance and stuffing yourself into that rigid mold doesn't really allow you to shine.

Experiment around, find what kicks your ass best. It will vary according to time of day, season, what you just ate, where you are in your routine (how long ago you did legs, whether you are maxing this week, etc.), the Gazelle/Kong balance, and your mood. With all your experience lifting, not to mention navigating a truly interesting health route, you know exactly what your body is telling you by now from day to day, hour to hour. Take what you have to work with each time, energy-wise, and create a flexible program for yourself using the different possibilities you've garnered from all your sources. You'll get more out of your body, you'll enjoy exercise more, and you'll see faster results with fewer setbacks. Kick ass.

Baby Herc

Edited by Baby Hercules

I read somewhere true HIIT should not last more than 20-30 min. I guess it makes sense, Tabatha protocols and what not. I reckon that should be your goal if you want to destroy yourself and up your metabolism.

One thing you need to remember is if you want to lose a decent amount of fat, sprinting is NOT the way to go. You might up your metabolism a bit for 24hrs, and burn off a bit of fat in the process, but the caloric demand is just not there during those 20min. I suggest 20min of sprinting and 10-15 min light jogging. It's what I do on my two sprinting days, plus abs and/or calves.

I'll jog to my favorite hill in a non-round about way, about 7 minutes, and then sprint for 20, 15 sec sprints, 1:30-2 min rest, then I jog home, about 7 min, and do my abs for 4x15 super setted with calves 4x15 once a week, abs two times a week, no calves.

All in all it runs me about 45 min or so.