Mixing supplements

Animal

I have a question regarding mixing supplements. I hit the gym during my lunch breaks, and I dont want to carry too many supplements in individual containers. I've taken to mixing my stuff in a single large bottle for consumption right after the workouts. I use soy milk as a liquid base, and blend it with veg protein powder (soy/hemp/pea mix), L-glutamine powder, and creatine mono. Is this concoction somehow inferior to taking the supplements separately throught the day? To they interfere with each other's absorption when taken like this? Also, I mix this wacky drink in the morning before heading to work. Will the creatine and L-glutamine lose some of their potency in the few hours between preparation and consumption?

Ya, I know how you feel about carrying stuff around. I'm like the "bag man," I carry a plastic grocery bag with me everywhere I go.

I'm not sure what the total amount of protein our bodies can handle in one sitting is, for some reason I thought it was around 40 grams or so. So in my thinking I want to keep all my intake at less than 30 grms and spread it throughout the day. I take 5 grms of creatine before and 5 after a w/o.

Hell, I even split my monster vegi one a days in two because most people say you end up peeing the stuff out because it's too much at once.

As for the creatine/protein mix, I don't think it matters, they're different substances. I take the L-glut before bed like they say on the pack but I also take it right after a w/o as well.

I guess in short, I'm trying to say spread things out as much as possible throughout the day so it's a constant stream of goodies rather than all at once. Just like diet and anything else.

I have a question regarding mixing supplements. I hit the gym during my lunch breaks, and I dont want to carry too many supplements in individual containers. I've taken to mixing my stuff in a single large bottle for consumption right after the workouts. I use soy milk as a liquid base, and blend it with veg protein powder (soy/hemp/pea mix), L-glutamine powder, and creatine mono. Is this concoction somehow inferior to taking the supplements separately throught the day? To they interfere with each other's absorption when taken like this? Also, I mix this wacky drink in the morning before heading to work. Will the creatine and L-glutamine lose some of their potency in the few hours between preparation and consumption?

Good question...

I sure hope you can mix protien shakes with creatine or I have been wasting my money.

Oh snap! I was just told not to mix my creatine in my shake....bummer.

I did some online searches after your replies. Accodring to several nutritional websites I saw it shouldn't be a problem. A lot of protein heavy food like dead fish and dead cows contains a lot of creatine, so it is often bundled in nature with protein. At this point I'm assuming its not a problem, unless someone proves me wrong. In fact, the protein may create a mild insulin spike that will help absorption of creatine.

Anyone has contradictory information?

NB: edited for embarrasing word ommisions, I need my sleep.

As far as I know, creatine will start to break down (into creatinine I think) if left in water for over 20 minutes, so it would be best to avoid mixing the shake before you work out. I used to have this problem in the past and the only way I could get round it was to put protein powder, creatine & dextrose into a shaker and leave dry, then add water in the gym after i'd finished working out. Only downside is that this mixture tastes like sh*t!

As for taking protein & creatine together, I believe it's OK. Some manufacturers sell creatine-protein mixes, which surely they wouldn't do if they inhibited each other?

Not sure about glutamine as I've never taken it. Soy is naturally high in glutamine so I've just relied on getting it from normal dietary sources.

Thanx for the advice.

I'll mix the rest in the morning and add the creatine right before I consume it. It dissolves pretty fast. I guess I'll have to carry little bags of that white powder in my bag. Last time I did that you should have seen the looks I got from security personnel at concerts. It a good thing I dont carry a mirror and thin plastic straws

Thanx for the advice.

I'll mix the rest in the morning and add the creatine right before I consume it. It dissolves pretty fast. I guess I'll have to carry little bags of that white powder in my bag. Last time I did that you should have seen the looks I got from security personnel at concerts. It a good thing I dont carry a mirror and thin plastic straws

I always feel a bit self-conscious at work when I've got sachets of creatine powder in my desk drawer! It must look a bit suspicious to the untrained eye.

p.s. is that a Carcass top you're wearing?