Hello from Australia

Grant_X_Davis

Hey everyone, I'm Grant from Australia. I am 25, vegan and straight edge.

A bit about me:

I have been vegan for 4.5 years, and was vegetarian for roughly 2 years before that. Also for those that care I have been edge for just over 5 years too.

I am roughly 6"4' and at last check was 163-164 pounds (74kg).

My main focus has been on cycling with a few small runs throw into the mix. Before cycling I think I was roughly 80kg. This loss of 6kg, while good for my cycling kinda left me a bit to scrawny for my liking, I have since started doing weights in the hope of putting on muscle, without putting on body fat. From what I have read both of these concepts seam to be counter productive, ie you've got to out on weight to put on muscle.

I would no where near call myself a body builder but I am trying and have been lifting weights for 4 weeks. I have noticed a change in strength, nothing in physical appearance, which I am fine with at the moment.

Previous to the lifting I was kinda trying to eat more raw foods, fruit mainly, trying to stick to high carb low fat. Although I felt fantastic my riding never really improved. Since lifting I have been eating more protein/ and foods containing a lot more protein than I was consuming. My riding had since improved, more PB's, almost every ride I am riding faster on some particular segment than the previous day/ride. So even though my riding has started improving on this new diet, (sorry) but man my guts are a bit of a mess. Lots more gas etc stuff I don't like talking about .

Either way I just wanted to say Hi, any advice is greatly appreciated and look forward to being a part of the forum.

Welcome to the forum. There are several Aussie's on here. I'm not but I've visted there before. What are pb's? I would say just remember you need to eat a variety of fresh fruits and vegetables. Not sure what sources your protein are coming from but a balanced diet is key. Also Fruits plus beans equals gas. Just an fyi. Maybe try not to combine them. Keep in mind that tomatoes are fruit and that tofu is beans as far as the gas rule goes.

Haha great intro converstation!

-Dylan

Sorry, PB= personal best/PR-resonal record.

At the moment I am typically waking up, fast commuter cycling for 16km, eat 2 bananas, go to the gym for an hour of weights, after which I will have a protein shake. Hour or so later I will have a sandwich/ burrito with a grain and protein of some form and also a piece of fruit. Lunch time I'll have another sandwich/burrito and some more fruit. I do snack on some dates through our the day, not many though. I'll then fast commute cycle 16km again. I'll h e another protein shake when I get home, maybe a snack dried fruit. Go walk the dogs then come home for dinner, again a mix of carbs and protein. Then if I am still hungry I'll have some cereal before I go to bed.

Looking at this maybe im not eating enough, especially variety of foods.

This is a typical work day, some days I'll eat more, and better variety, and some days I'll cycle for 80km.

I should add to this that I usually wake up between 4am and 430am and hence going to be around 8 or 9 pm. I start work at 7am so to get the ride and gym in before work I have to be up early.

Also I take the following supplements: multi vitamin, vitamin B, glucosamine, amino acids (intra workout)