Benching

I'm getting back into heavy training and I'm enjoying it.

When I was doing my regular on and off bodybuilding training I was only bench pressing around 205 pounds, maybe get up to 225 for a rep or two.

Today I pressed 245 on flat bench and 250 on decline, each for 4 reps.

I only got one clean rep alone with the weights and then the rest were assisted. I can do 240 without a spot for 1-2 reps.

I know 250 isn't real heavy, but I'm on 170-something right now so it weighs a lot more than I do and can feel pretty heavy.

My all-time PR is 265 on decline and probably 245 on flat bench today was an all-time PR. So that is pretty cool. It is only after a few weeks of deciding I want to train heavier. I think I put on a pound or two over the past few weeks too, so that is nice.

Anyway, now I'm eating but benching was fun today

YAH! Rob, that is AWESOME! You must feel really good about that! I'm proud of ya! " title="Applause" /> (Ok, I think i pretty much exhausted all the emoticons for this topic.... but I think u catch my drift, right?! LOL)

Oh, heck, I'll throw this one in just for giggles:

CONGRATS on the progress!!!!! You rock!

Thanks Shelby.

I'm not super strong, but I'm really enjoying this heavy lifting. I'm not as "big" as I look in most photos. Not that I look real big, but hopefully most people can tell I lift weights. So not being that big, bench pressing 250 pounds feels pretty good. I think it will just go up and up.

I'm getting stronger all over which is encouraging.

I'll post new bests when they happen.

Thanks

I just put up 255 lbs today on the decline bench without any help from a spotter!

I tried 255 on flat bench but couldn't quite get it for the 3rd consecutive week. I wasn't sure if I was going to try it on decline because I hadn't been able to get a clean rep all by myself at that weight either. But, I tried it and nailed it and didn't need any help

So that is a new Personal Best for me! I've done 265 on decline bench before but those were forced reps, not all done by myself.

The interesting thing....which I'm kind of embarrassed to say is that today with shorts on I was 174.5 pounds. So pressing 255 pounds with my low bodyweight felt pretty good!

Once I finish competing this year, I'll get back over 190 pounds where I was a few years ago.

New PB is cool!