shin splints

About the shoes, have you been running or not before buying them? I've found I've gotten shin splints after not running a while--or at least consistently--for a while. Additionally, even if you *have* been running a while, a drastic change in routine, such as a sudden shift from slow endurance running to speedwork can sometimes cause them.

Anti-inflammatories are ok in the short term, but personally I think the best thing is rest, hands down. Some anti-inflammatories can actually thin your blood out which, if you are fit, you probably don't want. Wait until you are almost recovered or fully recovered otherwise you risk injury.

Also, have your shoes checked out by someone at a running shoe store to see if they are right for your running style. They can tell what type of runner you are, whether you are neutral, an overpronator, or otherwise. Running shoes now are made for the specific type of runner, and this also could very well be the problem.

Thanks Matt, it has been a while since I ran last so I guess that might be it. When I did run before it was on a treadmill and I got the shin splints from running on a paved path…. Maybe that had something to do with it.

They are feeling a little better today, I didn’t even tape them.