My son..... the 10 year old activist

JW

My 10 year old son has never really shown much drive or prolonged interest in anything, but this is pretty cool.

He has always had a good sense of right and wrong. He has been vegetarian for 2 years (and I'm sure he will be vegan when the time is right for him)

This year he had to make a speech to his class and he decided to speak on "why I am a vegetarian"

He takes those PETA comic books to school and shares them with his friends. He is a member of the Green Team at school (pro recycling and environment)

To date, 2 of his friends have become vegetarian, which means that 2 more families are eating a heck of a lot less meat

He also organized a popcorn sale (no butter) at his school and raised $179 for an African hospital in Mbale.

Now this isn't just "proud papa" spouting off, the point is that kids CAN make a difference!!! Kudos to PETA for producing the kid friendly literature!!!

Well, you should be a proud poppa and your son sounds WISE BEYOND HIS YEARS. IN fact, his consciousness is light years ahead of peoole 6 times his age. You should be very proud JW. And thanks for raising a compassionate and aware child, and teaching values of caring about things beyong just ourselves/himself. The future is brighter because he is in it! SHow him my post and tell him that this party is all for him and his young activism:

You must be sooo proud!

I have a little activist of my own, hehe, you never know what she's going to say!

Would that be Savannah?

Katie is the activist and not at all afraid to speak her mind. She is very well spoken and polite and rather matter of fact for someone her age (9).

You must be sooo proud!

I have a little activist of my own, hehe, you never know what she's going to say!

Would that be Savannah?

Katie is the activist and not at all afraid to speak her mind. She is very well spoken and polite and rather matter of fact for someone her age (9).

This one's for Katie then:

Thank you all for your kind words

I shared the responses with Quinn and the smile on his face said it all!

The first word he uttered was " cool " !

Hey Seasiren, maybe we should work on an "arranged marriage"

• 2 weeks later...

So we were at our favourite vegan friendly restaurant last night...

they have a tip jar by the cash register.

So I give both kids a $1 coin and a quarter

(thinking that the quarter would go into the humane society can next to the register) .Yup, you guessed it I should have known how his little mind works the $1 coin went straight in the Humane Society tin.

(I have to admit, I like the way his mind works)

I love to hear about compassionate kids! He sounds wonderful!

What kind of response did he get to his "Why I'm a vegetarian" speech?

Actually, it was received quite well. His classmates are all very supportive and seem to genuinely care about others and their opinions.

Quinn (my son) is not too shy about being vegetarian and his friends are becoming more interested. Two of them have already announced to their parents that they want to be vegetarian.

He still has his moments but he never ceases to amaze me. He has a good heart.

thanks for your kind comments.

I hope my kid still enjoys it when he turns 10, he's 3 1/2 now and has been veggie for over a year. From when he started he would say "I don't eat animals". He understands why he doesn't eat them and why it's wrong to hurt them. He also has a lunchbox with tons of animal rights stickers, my favorite is the PETA chick "Jesus loves me too" because he goes to a Christian pre school. They tried to feed him meat by accident and he refused to eat it. He's awesome. Kids get it.

that's awesome Sean!

Sometimes I think kids are better at the activism thing than adults. They don't have all the hangups about what others will think

I personally like the PETA sticker with a chick saying "I am not a nugget"

Children are less CONDITIONED and/or JUDGEMENTAL.

They are more PURE at HEART hence all things said and done they are as close to ENLIGHTENMENT we can get.. atleast.. without meditating.

So when my wife calls me a "Manchild" I should take it as a compliment right?

Children are less CONDITIONED and/or JUDGEMENTAL.

They are more PURE at HEART hence all things said and done they are as close to ENLIGHTENMENT we can get.. atleast.. without meditating.

So when my wife calls me a "Manchild" I should take it as a compliment right?

Ha!

My daughter is getting in on the action now.

She just LOVES animals and has taken on the Humane Society as her charity of choice.

Our Humane Society is in the final planning stages of building a new office/shelter/education centre which will be located fairly close to where we live.

She has already run a kool-aid stand, sold some toys at a school auction, and sold hand made magnets to raise funds for the project. She has plans of making bracelets this summer to sell at the lake with all proceeds going to the Humane Society. We are having a garage sale in June for everyone on our block. Hannah already has plans to set up her own "humane Society table"

She has this wooden tea box where she keeps all the money she collects. Much of her allowance finds it's way in there too.

I'm proud of what the kids are doing but at the same time it makes me realize that maybe I'm not doing enough. hmmm (moment for self - reflection ) so either I'm (a) a slacker (b) a victim of corporate brainwashing or © I've been drained of every last bit of energy by the kids