Sierra Club: Paul Watson resigns in protest and a comic...

_raVen_

It's really too bad and ludicrous really that a nature conservation organization would encourage hunting and therefore eating meat as factory farming, which provides this sustenance is environmentally unfriendly, bad for the environment and wastes natural resources.

I'm glad I haven't been a member in over 5 years.

Loving Nature with a Gun

By Sierra Club National Director Paul Watson

To what dark depths of immorality is the Sierra Club USA prepared to go to suck up to the hook and bullet crowd?

The Sierra Club clearly embraces the slaughter of wild animals proclaiming that 20% of the membership are “hunters or anglers.”

The Club hosts a web page showing Club leaders posing with macho smiles of triumph with their slaughtered bleeding trophy victims. We see them proudly gazing at the cameras with pitiful corpses of elk, deer, antelope, geese, ducks and fish. You could see the frigging bulges in their Eddie Bauer pants from getting off on the sick perversion of killing an animal for kicks and sexual thrills.

And just to show you that the Sierra Club is an equal opportunity organization when it comes to slaughter – there are woman hunters featured. Like bow hunter Jean Legge of North Dakota, who appears all smiles over a dead deer and proudly states that “hunting is more enjoyable when you have the right equipment.” I think the men agree Jean.

Link: http://www.sierraclub.org/huntingfishing/whoweare.asp

Even in death the animals look nobler than the smirking cruel clowns posing with their corpses.

It was a goddamn embarrassment to discover that as a National Director of the Sierra Club, no one told me anything about the tens of thousands of dollars we had allocated for “hunter outreach” programs [when that money should be going to vegan outreach programs].

Not only are we posting snuff snaps, we are actually spending money to promote the murder of wildlife and enticing more of the sadistic death deviants into joining the Sierra Club.

The Club even has an essay contest entitled; Why I Hunt?

Link: http://www.sierraclub.org/huntingfishing/whyihunt/

I wonder how many Sierra Club members realize that the Club is offering a grand prize of an all expense paid trip for two to the Alaska Sportsman’s Lodge. The value of the prize is $12,200.

Hard to believe but the Sierra Club is actually spending donated funds to send some sadistic bastard up to Alaska to kill a Grizzly or whatever else he stumbles upon. Yep, that’s the way to protect nature – shoot it.

I notice this sick little excursion was never brought before the Board of Directors for approval.

Trophy hunters argue that hunting is a natural instinct of man. We come from a hunter gathering background they say, yet I don’t see any acorn or root gathering going on. In fact I don’t think there is a single gathering club in the country. So if hunting is a natural part of our instincts then how come gathering isn’t?

And there are few predators in nature that would target the biggest and the strongest animals. Humans do so, only because we have devastating weapons of mass wildlife destruction. Targeting the biggest and the strongest is not natural or ecologically sound.

Behind all the chit-chat of conservation and tradition is the plain simple fact that trophy hunters like to kill living things and many like Vice President Dick Cheney like their victims helpless therefore they patronize canned hunts and safaris parks to snuff out defenseless captive animals.

The Sierra Club webpage posts an essay by Rick Bass entitled, Why I hunt? – Stalking wild game in a rugged landscape brings one environmentalist closer to nature. Link: http://www.sierraclub.org/sierra/200107/bass.asp

Tell me Rick, how does a gun bring you closer to nature unless you enjoy the sight of red blood splattered on green leaves?

Is a camera not enough? Is it so hard to look at an animal without wanting to kill it or is it only the fact that you kill it that makes you hard?

Bass has a book promotion on the Sierra Club website where it describes how he went to Alaska to investigate the threats to the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge. An excerpt describes how; “he now pursues game with a primal passion coupled with an environmentalist's conscience, providing nearly all the meat his family consumes. He hoped to kill one caribou and bring home its meat.

Link: http://www.sierraclub.org/books/catalog/1578051142.asp

If I understand this right, Bass went to the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge to kill a caribou in order to write about the threats to the caribou. What part of the words “wildlife refuge” did he not understand? The meaning of the word “refuge” is a place of shelter and protection from danger. I guess Bass does not think that caribou need any refuge from his rifle.

And do we really want to promote “primal passion?” I thought this was a term for rapists and serial killers.

Nor do I but as a director of the Sierra Club for the last three years I have encountered a great deal of hostility because I don’t hunt or fish. I have disrupted hunting and as a child I sabotaged trap lines, releasing animals and destroying the vicious leg-hold traps. But living compassionately with nature is not considered admirable by the Sierra Club. They don’t post our essays on vegetarianism or anti-hunting despite the fact that many Sierra Club members are vegetarian and eighty percent of the members do not hunt.

The Sierra Club has decided that nature is best loved with a gun and bunny huggers need not apply. Apparently there is little room for compassion and plenty of resources to promote violence, exploitation and cruelty in the wilderness.

Paul Watson is a National Director of the Sierra Club if the United States.

"If the animal rights movement pushes too hard, too fast, it is because the excesses in the opposite direction are mammoth in comparison."

Edited by compassionategirl

The only nature conservation organization that I currently support is the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society. Please, everybody, consider redirecting some of your donations to them. They are, in my opinion, currently one of the most trustworthy enviro group - and the one that is most animal rights friendly.

More info on them can be found at www.seashepherd.org.

"You can't love nature with a gun." Excellent quote!!

I'm surprised, too, that they would sponser a contest with that type of 'prize.' Grrr...

Raven, I love your new avatar! Cool. And as for the comic, I have no idea. Hypocrisy is certainly an appropriate title.

I'm way more dumbfounded by the Sierra Club than the comic - talk about hypocrisy! Sickening. WHAT IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE???

The comic, imo, is just supposed to be silly. I thought it was kind of funny. It reminded me of when a coworker told another coworker that I was vegan and she turned to me and said "vegans don't wear leather you know." And I sa

2w

There was more to that story, but my cat just climbed on the keyboard and typed "2w", so I'm going to leave it at that.

2w everyone, 2w

Funny, I had to buy checks yesterday and found "message checks" with several to choose from. Sierra Club was one of them, luckily I chose the Farm Sancuary ones.

I liked to message for the no animal testing was, but the checks were so darn depressing, I don't think I could have looked at them all the time.

CRISPY Q!!! You're back!! Hey, I was wondering what happened to you I thought there's no way she's gone back to omni Good to see ya

Thanks about the avatar!

It's awful. Like Crash, I haven't followed them in several years, but it always peeves me when I've wasted my time or money Makes you wonder, even when they were supposedly doing good, if they they were hiding something When it comes to animal issues, all my brain power turns to brain powder...I tend to give groups working for animal issues or the environment the benefit of the doubt and let my heart rule my wallet . I've only regretted giving a couple times to jerks (like PeTA and one other who didn't deserve it), but I didn't know any better at the time Once I do find out, they don't get my support any longer, to say the least. From what I remember, Sierra Club used to do great work

Watson stayed longer than I would have, though.

This one's for you, Crispy:

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a247/Raven_PZ/Shooteachotherb320x240.jpg

Maybe we can send this to Cheney & Co