Discuss Animal Rights Organizations

I've begun my venture into veganism after browsing through PETA as they are the most prominent animal rights organization within the scope of my attention and I'm curious as to what else is out there and what they have to offer. Obviously I could do a search and come up with many on my own but I'd like some opinions as a preface to the sites.

As far as my own opinions:

PETA, I think is widely criticized and for the most part I think it's a good thing. Due to their sensationalistic tactics they've helped many people question themselves who may not have otherwise been challenged. If you don't agree with their "tactics" at the least they are a good resource for literature, opinions, shopping, recipes, videos, pictures, etc.

Today I wandered into the ASPCA website and found a very different world. It seemed much more somber and noninformative, especially for a group that has been around almost 4 times longer.

Well, PETA has its great points and its not so great points (like the Got prostate cancer ad featuring The New York mayor, etc).

They are the best though in terms of getting footage together and their meat your meat was one major thing that turned lots of people veg. That was the best thing PETA ever did I think.

SOme of the organizations you noted are purely welfare organizations. I am an animal rightist, not an animal welfarist. Thus, my preferences are vegan outreach, friends of animals and the Sea Shephard Conservation Society.

However, I dont always agree with Freinds of Animals' (or lee hall's to be more specific) critiques of peta.

I dont think that the American SPCA is interested in vegan outreach. They are a VERY aninmal welfare organization and that is probably why you found their website non informative.

I didn't say they had to be promoters of veganism

Though I can think of reasons on my own I'm curious as to why you aren't concerned with animal welfare in addition to animal rights.

Upon further investigation I find I really like the Humane Society of the US website and will continue to look through it.

Ya, I know you didnt say they had to be promoters of veganism but you asked for opinions and that is what I provided. My opinion is that animal rights organizations are preferable to purely animal welfare organizations because I agree with the philosophy of animal rights, not animal welfare. I am sure you know the difference but in case there are readers and newcomers to this, the difference is that animal welfarism essentially holds that animal exploitation in the service of human wants - no matter how unnecessary or trivial those wants are - is permissible, so long as it is carried out in a humane fashion. Rights philosophy, in contrast, regards the indivdiual's right to be treated with respect as inviolate. Thus, animal rights opposes human use of animals, independently of whether their rights are violated "humanely" or otherwise.

I think that animals have inherent worth and the right to live free of human molestation, even "humane" molestation. Hence my preference for animal rights orgs like Friends of Animals. I am not entirely opposed to welfarist campaigns as I think that welfarist campaigns can sometimes work with rights campaigns, so long as the ultimate and final goal is animal rights, not welfare. That is why although I am an animal rightist, I have been involved in many welfarist campaigns of PETA and Sea Shepherd. But these organizations arent purely and exclusively welfarist. I would prefer to give my financial support to organizations that have an ultimate goal of animal rights, like PETA, because I dont accept the welfarist goal of "it is okay to exploit animals so long as it is done humanely."

ALthough, many of the purely welfarist organizations like The Humane Society of the United States and IFAW are involved in campaigns that are dear to me like the ANTI-SEAL hunt campaign, so to that extent I support those campaigns - but not the organizations as a whole. Another example of the welfarist versus animal rights organization is the issue of Iams, the pet food company. PETA has a campaign against Iams to stop all laboratory testing on animals, and to use exclusively home testing as do many progressive pet food companies. The HSUS is not in agreement with PETA on this. So while PETA toils to get these animals OUT of Iams labs, the position of HSUS is that Iams laboratory animals are acceptable so long as the animals stuck in the labs are treated "humanely" and are caused minimal suffering. The notion that these animals have rights to NOT be imprisoned in laboratory settings is rejected by HSUS. The fact that many commercially successful companies DONT test in lab settings and thus no company needs to test in lab settings does not trouble the HSUS. And the motivation of Iams to subject animals to such a cruel existence - i.e. to maintain and increase its market share - is considered by the HSUS to be an acceptable and legitimate reason. The iams campaign is a really good example of how welfare versus rights organizations could clash. ( www.iamscruelty.com to those unfamiliar with this campaign).

I really like the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society because I am in favour of direct action to save animals, even if that includes ramming a few whale factory ships (yup, you read that right. It's like a slaughterhouse / meat processing plant on a boat!). And I also admire Paul Watson's brave battles in direct defence of animals.

Hope that answered your questions?

AIET - there's also WSPA:

World Society for the Protection of Animals.

A few UK specific ones:

Animal Defenders

British Union for Abolition of Vivisection

Animal Aid

Captive Animal Protection Society

Compassion in World Farming

League Against Cruel Sports

There's a load more I can't remember after a long day afer not enough sleep the night before - but I will post more ( and links ) when I get chance. There's a few that quietly go about their business that aren't as well known that do not get enough recognition.

I don't know enough about them to be honest to offer a personal opinion on them, but look into them for a different perspective from over the pond.

I always think your posts are very considered and well made. I like the perspective you bring.

Especially the poll about farting

Thank you for the links I don't have time to check 'em out now but certainly will soon. I just thought it was interesting how naive I am to all these organizations when we may share many common goals. It dawned on me that my perspective may be narrowminded and so I was wondering what else was out there.

I also didn't like having to cite PETA every time something came up. Though they are a wonderful resource many people feel that are unjustly biased and so I thought I should look for alternatives.