What would you do if your job required you to...

joelbct

What would you do if your job required you to do something involving producing advertising material for say, a chicken restaurant? What about just restaurants in general that happen to serve meat? Where would you draw the line?

This came up at one point when I was vegetarian but not as into animal rights, so I thought I'd better think it up incase it happens again-

Thanks

Joel

I wouldnt advertise or promote eating animals - not eating them is what I would promote.

I bartended for many years at those "beer and chicken wing" kinds of bars/restaurants, essentially making money from the exploitation and murder of animals. But I use my life and any finances I have to promote veganism - and I also would talk about veganism, meet your meat, go vegan, etc with all those meat heads that would come in for their beer and wings - that is until the owner would realize what was up and fire me. I know for a fact that at least a few of those meatheads watched your meet your meat upon my suggestion - and they would have otherwise probably never even had heard of it but for there encounter with the vegan bartender (since they were big meat heads with meat head friends and family).

I have been fired from many restaurants/pubs/whatever you want to call it for not keeping my mouth shut during my shift about the reality of meat.

I draw the line at encouraging or promoting eating animals. Just cant do it - no matter what the financial remuneration because at the end of the day I have to live with my conscience. I am on the animals' side, and always will be. They need all the friends they can get.

So that is my two cents.

I think that might qualify for 3 cents CG

That's awesome! I wish I could be so bold. I have a more diplomatic personality (unless REALLY provoked)

I think it would be awfully hard to create advertising for chicken.

I really don't think I could do it.

Vegangirl in our group works at McDonalds.... now how's THAT for difficult?? She's looking for another job but it must be very difficult indeed!!

Yeah, I'm thinking I'll just refuse- Although that just means someone else in the company will do the job, but at least I get to make a point and not directly participate.

My boss says he was a vegetarian for 20 years at one point, so perhaps he will understand? I did protest our company's support of the March of Dimes and vocally refused to solicit donations, recommending that people visit marchofcrimes.com to see where there donations are really going-

JB