Ethanol

9nines

Ethanol is getting attention. Good idea?

Bad aspects: I think it pollutes as much as petroleum based fuel (anyone know?) and if it makes fuel cheaper people will waste it (pollute more) by choosing larger vehicles.

Good aspects: Its feedstock will be grains, so it should make grains more expensive, which will make meat more expensive and therefore hopefully less demanded.

Ethanol refining is a lot cleaner than petroleum refining. Ethanol combustion is a lot cleaner than gasoline combustion. Ethanol combustion doesn't put carbon into the atmosphere like gasoline does. Ethanol can be grown locally in a lot of parts of the world that have to ship it in. For example, I live in Florida and we have zero oil refineries here so we have to import all gasoline used in the state. If we switched to E85 the ethanol could be produced from locally grown corn. I'm for ethanol all the way. I'm for investing in ethanol all the way too. If anyone on here is into stock market investing let me know and we can talk biofuel stocks.

Yes, please list some publicly traded companies, in this area.

I really did not know, I am glad Ethanol is clean.

Also, on corn; it is very inefficient. It takes almost as much energy to process as you get. Sugarcane, on the other hand, takes about 12.5% of the energy to process it.

Florida and other gulf coast states would be in better position to grow sugarcane (grown in marshes and low areas) and it would be an incentive to protect wetlands (grow sugarcane in them versus developing them.)

Hopefully the corn lobby does not get everything steered for corn but then with corn use, it will make animal farms more expensive.

9nines - I agree with you on the corn lobbyists. I dont like them too much.

PS: I went to the Whole Foods on Kirby and got a bunch of stuff. Do you think you could come with me sometime and help me correlate the stuff from the boards and shop out there. I'd much appreciate it.

At the same time I will have connected with some people from here.. and maybe make some of the veg gatherings around Htown.

PS: I went to the Whole Foods on Kirby and got a bunch of stuff. Do you think you could come with me sometime and help me correlate the stuff from the boards and shop out there. I'd much appreciate it.

I would not be much help; I do not buy much stuff. I center most of my meals around potatoes or beans (have 50 pounds of dried anasazi beans.) So the main things I buy are fruits, greens and other produce and frozen vegetables.