Dumbbell bench press hurt shoulders?

My elbows go pretty far below the bench when I do db presses. It seems like stopping your elbows from going below the bench would feel like a half rep. I'm not an expert in physiology, so I don't know for sure what is best. But when I've tried going so heavy that I can only do half reps I don't feel like I'm getting anything out of it, other than being able to show off how much weight I can pick up. Personally, I'd rather go lighter and go from having the weights tap the outside of my chest to arms fully extended. Kathryn if you are anyone else has any links or research as to why this can cause damage though, please share.

Kathryn if you are anyone else has any links or research as to why this can cause damage though, please share.

I don't have any off-hand, just what I've picked up over the years from reading many books and articles, and focusing on what works for me as well (I have a touchy shoulder that will let me know quite quickly if an exercise is ill-advised for that area. Kind of like having a built-in safety guide!)

I'll see if I can find some specifics in my collection (when I can get to it---I'm in the midst of "spring cleaning' and it's not accessible at the moment!) I'm specifically thinking of one book that compares risk/benefit ratios of different exercises and variations (which I don't see on my bookshelf right now, so I'm wondering where it went?)

Doing a deep dumbell bench press with heavy weights puts pressure on the anterior delt in a position where it is rather weak. I think it may be a question of YMMV (your mileage may vary = it's different for everyone), but for many people, this can lead to injury. If someone is having shoulder pain when doing bench presses, this would be the first thing I'd look at. IMO, those extra few inches don't add appreciably to the work the chest does, and can add to the stress on the shoulder.

In this video the guy does them down to his chest http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/PectoralSternal/DBBenchPress.html

I think you get a better chest workout if you go all the way. I definitely get a better pump from doing the whole range. If it puts stress on delts then doing the full range should strengthen them. I think the problem is most people just try to go to heavy.

I think everyone should go all the way down...if you can't do it use lighter weight like wilpeavy said before. The only exception is if you couldn't go that low if you used no weight to begin with...but then you wouldn't be able to do a real regular bench press anyway. If its too easy that way you'll strengthen your chest at full stretch where your weakest anyway then eventually you'll move up. That low point is the most important part until the push at the finish(my opinion...thats where you get the most muscle action...the first 5 inches and the last 5 inches)

In "Optimal Muscle Training," Ken Kinakin (chiropractor, certified strength and conditioning specilist, certified personal trainer and bodybuilding an powerlifting competitor for over 20 years--I think that makes him worth listening to!) shows risks and benefits of various exercises (I found the book!). Unfortunately, he doesn't show specifics for a dumbbell chest press with elbows lower than parallel (maybe it's on the DVD that came with the book, but I haven't had time to explore that), but he does show for dumbell flyes with upper arm excessively below parallel to the floor as "High risk" and "low benefit." And pec dep with elbows behind shoulders at the start as "high risk" and "low benefit." Both are because there is increased stress on the shoulder joint and capsule.

I found another reference the other day that states that going too much below the level of the bench on presses increases stress on the shoulder without adding any benefit for the chest (but dontcha know it, I can't find that page again).

I've also seen many photos of the move, and in most cases, especially hardcore training books that stress safety as well as effectiveness, the elbows don't go below the level of the bench.

Of course, in weight rooms, where people are just looking to put on size, you can see a lot of bad form, which may not lead to injury, but can do damage in the long run.

If your shoulders aren't having trouble, you may decide to stick with a larger ROM (though it can lead to future problems), but if you are having shoulder problems (like the orginal poster), it's worth looking into this as a possible contributing factor.

I can't even touch a straight bar to my chest without going below parellel...this would mean you shouldn't touch your chest with the bar when you bench...I think that sounds a little crazy...when I use a straight bar my elbows go lower than the bench itself...I don't see this as being possible. As for flies and dumbell presses their is a huge difference when it comes to leverage...plus its almost impossbile to go really far back with your arms almost straight anyway...I've also never hurt my shoulder using dumbell presses but I can't count how many times I've hurt my shoulder using the bench...and that isn't going as low either

in weight rooms, where people are just looking to put on size, you can see a lot of bad form, which may not lead to injury, but can do damage in the long run.

I know what you mean. I also think that in weight rooms a lot of people have bad form because they are trying to lift too much weight so they can show off how much weight they can lift! Personally, I'm more impressed by the newbie doing his best to bench a 100 pounds than the guy who grunts really loud so everyone can see that he can squat 8 gazillion pounds. But that's just me.

Its even cooler to see the newbie pick up weight thats way to heavy and swing it like crazy to move it anywhere...and they're just trying to lift heavy enough to not be terribly embarassed.

• 1 month later...

My shoulders seem to be getting better. I think it was being caused by putting the dumbbells down at end of sets. Most of the weight is being transferred to smaller shoulder muscles, from larger chest muscles, as I would set the weights downs. I am just doing push-ups for my chests now and after my shoulders are near 100%, I will go back to a barbell for chest presses.