Jeremy's Blog

Guest veganpotter

don't forget to taper before the big race.

remember it is better to be 10% undertrained (even though you do not have to worry abou this) than 1% overtrained (this you may have to worry about)

Good luck my friend. I will be sending you "fast riding" vibes.

Keep up posted.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup...Ima tapering down as we speak. Today it'll be nice and easy with some long modestly hard efforts but I won't kill myself(also all in aero bars...which I just moved closer together to get a bit more aero). I'll put in a little under 3hrs of riding then I'll lift really easy(maybe a 10 minute jog) Then I'll have tomorrow to sit on my butt...then come Saturday I'll do a 2hr ride with a few very hard but very very short efforts just to jump the HR up for a bit...then spin home. Hopefully this does the trick. I was looking forward to the weather and wearing my Organic Athlete stuff since thats the most aero clothing I have(in terms of warm stuff)...if its cold it looks like black long tights with a black long top...I just wish I had a skin suit Anyway I'll be out there pretending my online vegan buddies are cheering me on or giving me a pull right in front of me during the race

I had a great ride today...some nice hard efforts(not too hard) that were pretty long...I used the hills to whimp out and spin with little effort. After that I did my crunches then tried to run. It felt terrible so I decided to scrap it and do more abs...I don't wanna overdo it. Tomorrow will consist of lots of stretching...some abs and a bit of lifting upper body in order to rest my legs...I may even do some icing. Then Saturday will be a fun ride...slow with short hard efforts and long breaks in between...so I'm thinking maybe only 20-30 minutes of hard pedaling(probably in 3-5minute intervals) and an hour and a half of easy spinning.

My legs feel great today...I feel like I good do my TT right now. Hopefully I'll feel just a good on Sunday morning. Tomorrow will be fairly easy so I should have a lot of spring in my legs.

try to keep from pushing too hard tomorrow. You should really take the day off the bike completely.

Good thing you are not getting hit by the Nor'easter hitting me now.

The race would be cancelled if it was up here. We suppose to get more than 12" of snow.

Once again, Good Luck and kick some butt!!

Wow today sure was windy...due to that I decided to throw in in the small ring and take it super easy. I think I was doing 14mph with minor strain in the headwind today...it was pretty nasty. Hopefully the wind won't be too bad tomorrow...well I know it won't be good(15+mph) but hopefully is a side wind with trees on both sides of the road.

Race went pretty well considering the conditions. I got up on time and felt great but we(Jamie came and drove most of the way) got lost...Mapquest screwed me. Traffic was light and with the time we left I should have had over an hour to warm up but it didn't work out that way. So I had a 9:25 start time and we got there at 9:10 which isn't all that much warm up time considering I had to wait in line to get my number then wait in line to get a computer chip to mount to my front tire(which I must say was pretty cool)...unfortunately I went in the wrong line first. I needed my number to get the chip. Anway I got done doing that at about 9:18 and had to give 5 minutes for staging which toatally ruined my chances of even getting in a few minutes to warm up.

Now that I'm done(not really) complaining about mapquest I'll tell you about the race. Obviously I didn't get to warm up so I took it a little easy but how easy can you take the start of a race thats lasts around an hour. There was quite a tail wind so I took advantage of that and got to spin out in a fairly large gear and I passed someone in the first mile(probably not a good thing but nobody passed me so it can't be that bad) which I was very proud of considering the 60second gaps given. Anyway that gave me motivation which I didn't really need so I sped up and passed someone again in maybe 8 minutes. In total I passed three people in the first 12.5miles(its listed as a 40k TT but its actually a 25mile TT)...and I think I passed 6 on the way back. I came in at the turn around just under 30minutes which felt great. The turn around was slightly protected by trees too which made the wind a bit decieving. So I left the turn at 24mph then about 1/4 out I got smashed in the shoulder with a side wind. For the next 6-8 miles I was riding left to go straight. At a few points in the race my bike was maybe 3-4 inches angled to the left just so I wouldn't get blown away. I've never dealt with sustained sidewinds that bad before. After that it was all headwind for the next few miles and I even dropped down under 18mph a few times which is something I didn't want to do. But for the most part I was just under 20 to maybe 21.5 for most of the way back. In the end I finished in seventh with 1:06:14. Which makes me feel good because a guy on my team won the cat 5 state championships last year and he came in 11th last year with a 1:07:45. Also this year he came in just over 1:01 but he had a disc wheel on the back of his bike which I would have surely loved to have today on that stretch home. I figure if I had adequate warm up time I could have taken at least 2 minute more off my time. Not to mention I would have been more relaxed and I wouldn't have been dumb enough to not take me seat bag off(I don't know how much time I lost from my seat bag in terms of aero dynamics but I know its got almost a pound of crap in it). Also it would have been nice to have a full disc wheel which I hope some time soon I will aquire one to compete with all those damn triathletes with super aero bikes(I've never seen so many $5000+ bikes being used by people that aren't at least cat 2s).

So all in all 1:06:14 aint that bad...hopefully the Philippine Olympic commitee will be pleased since their TT champ won nationals riding 1:05:30 in a 40K...granted the course could have been much slower or faster but if it were the same and you take away 0.2 miles from my time I would have come very close to his time...especially if I had his bike which is a about as aero as a legal TT bike can get. I think the next TT I do will go much better since I'll have my bars a bit lower(have my face sheild which didn't come in the mail) and I'll be warmed up.

There is a 12.5 mile one on the 31st of this month but I'm only going if I can swing a ride which I doubt. Other than that I plan on going to the track in a few weeks...maybe to race but maybe just to be on the track. We also have a pseudo track race here in Richmond on April 19(I think). I may do it but I may not. Its done on a racing track with a 3degree bank plus its about 1/2 mile long so its a bit like a crit which I don't like. I'd probably do it anyway but its a bit sketchy since there are a bunch of track wannabe kids that have track bikes and tight jeans and call themselves track cyclists even though less than 5% of them have ever even seen a track on TV and ride less than 30miles a week(thats the scary part...these guys don't know how to ride in packs). Anyhow I may do it but I don't wanna risk destroying my track bike thanks to some kid that can't ride.

Today I had a great ride. Unfortunately I shouldn't have had such a good ride if I had enough warm up yesterday to use all my abilities in the race. Anyway I went out east with a few guys toward hill billy country and I led them out the whole way. I blasted through the headwinds and they kept telling me to slow down even though they drafted the whole way. I also lifted heavy with the upper body. My apartment has a universal gym and I'm up to doing 2 sets of 12 with the 16 plate...know idea what weight that is but its definately well over 160lbs with the pulley system. I also lat pulled plate 15 for 12 reps. It feels good since I was struggling to use the 13th plate for this many reps just two weeks ago.

Thanks...I'll get some pics up soon...well maybe two. Jamie missed the finish and only got one start photo of me from behind. As for the body I'm taking it very easy. I took off yesterday and today I rode very leasurely just to get some bugs out. It was 50 miles but I doubt my HR ever touched 130. And tomorrow I won't be riding...just a bit of lifting.

As for my ride today it was fun and relaxing up until the rain. The forcast said partly cloudy in Richmond but on the last 20miles home it started to rain(granted its not Richmond but close enough) and I really hate riding in the rain. Lucky I had my wind vest on which protected me a bit...very lucky since it was also the first time I've ever worn it. Anyway about 5 miles from home it was completely dry. I really really hate riding in the rain...anyway I can't complain too much since I've only done it maybe 3 times other than commuting.

I'm taking it really easy today. Just a warm up on the treadmill and a few really heavy sets of leg curls and leg extensions. Then low intensity lunges.

Wow it was a hard ride today. I tried a new route with the goal of being on for 4 hrs. I haven't done any 4 hour rides for weeks so it was nice to get out for one. Anyway it was really hilly and fairly windy...I wound up putting in 66 miles in 3:50 Well it kinda felt good. Now I don't feel so good Which I like

Today I had a very painful ride of mashing gears. Covering 43miles in 2 hours and ten minutes. I also had a decent day in the gym too(upper body). Hopefully I'm smart enough to chill in the back during the group ride in the morning but I highly doubt it.

I had a great ride today. Fairly hard spinning mixed with a bit of gear grinding. All in all 55 miles in a bit under 3 hours. Then I hammered my legs in the gym. Tomorrow will be a nice leasurly long ride then some upper body lifting.

I decided to force myself to take the day off the bike today and did some really heavy lat and chest work. Tomorrow I will do some heavy leg curls and leg extensions but no riding.

The weather is really nice here. I actually got a pretty good sweat in this weekend. As for now its a bit cooler but still over 60 degrees. I think the 60 degree days are over for the rest of the year. I'm really happy about that because I hate winter gear. Actually if I didn't need to protect my tattoos and worry about rash if I wreck I'd probably like riding with shorts and a helmet and that would be it.

As for the pics I've gotta wait...Jamie is having trouble finding here cord to read the card from her camera Once she gets them I'll get a pick up!!!

Great ride today other than a major pedal problem. I went out and felt great so I decided to extend my ride. I rode a modestly hilly 75 miles in barely over 4 hrs(cut out stop lights I'd probably come in 5 minutes under 4 hrs). I felt really good even though I think I was pretty close to bonking since I only brought two teeny figs with me and has a simple green smoothie before my ride. As for the pedals my left pedal sucks so I've gotta buy a new set of Time Pedals. I'm not too happy but what can you do I've put a bit over 20,000 miles in this set in a little under 18 months so I don't think I can complain too much about that. The only thing I'll complain about is that now I've gotta dump another $100 or so on new pedals. I had Time Impacts but they don't make them now so it looks like Time RXS Pedals for me. EBAY has a red pair I'm gonna try to pick up. Hopefully I can put the same kind of mileage on this set.

I'm very surprised about how good I feel today after yesterday's ride. It must be all the extra smoothies that I'm drinking. Anyway later today I'm gonna hammer the legs in the gym a bit then do some hard abs.

Crazy ride today...meaning I felt miserable. I'm still dealing with my lousy pedals which didn't help much either. Anyway I went our for 55 miles and it took me about 3hr and 10minutes. I'm extremely sore and looking foreward to a day off on Tuesday.

On a high note my track bike is complete...at least in TT form. Now I just need a regular track handlbar. Oh...holy sh*t my bike is light. Without my aero bars on it was only about 13.4 lbs...now its may be 15lbs but it would be less if I didn't have these cheapo aero bars(they'll be better once I cut them down)

No ride today...I got lazy and just lifted upper body. This should do me some good I hope. Anyway I got my pedals and they aren't what I expected. They were listed as composite but they are actually plastic(which I guess it composite). I had a pair of these and had to take them in after a week. Hopefully these are different and will last me. If not they have a 12 month policy that will hopefully be upheld if they get screwed up.