Jeremy's Blog

Guest veganpotter

I had a great ride this morning with some friends from work. I met up with a few of them and two of us were gonna ride our fixed gear bikes(one guy doesn't have one). The other guy thought I was kidding so he didn't bring his and I really suffered up a few of the hills but it was fun...I didn't think I'd make it up all of the hills but other than one super steep hill and one pretty steep hill I was right with the other guys which means I would have probably given it to em if I had a normal bike. Anyhow it was pretty intense...especially since I was pedaling my ass off on the downhills while they coasted...then they got to use easy gears up the hills and I had to deal with the gear I had. I'm thinking next time he'll actually ride his other bike since he believes I'll bring mine...maybe I'll take my geared bike as a joke and get him back Anyhow it wasn't really a fast ride thanks to all the climbing but we did about 34 miles in a little less than two hours.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's your fix like? What gear are you running?

I decided on my gearing.... I bought a gold sugino 48T chainring to put on some new cranks and pedals I won today on ebay... so I'll be running 48/18 until I get my new wheelset (some point in the future, not now) which will be 17/21 double fixed.

My bike is a Cannondale CAAD 8. A few years ago it was one of the stiffest bikes on the planet(its replacement...CAAD 9 is now the 3rd stiffest bike around). I've got a ENO hub on it...which lets you run fixed and keep your chain tight on a road bike. As for gearing I'm running a 46/17 but its rolling hills out here. You've gotta watch the 21/17 though...thats a big range and it probably won't fit in the dropouts unless you want a lose chain.

I felt like ass on my ride today. I was doing some pretty intense intervals and I was planning on doing them for my 100mile ride but I was cooked. After 2 1/2 hours I didn't really have much of anything but I had a long ride home still. It was absolutely miserable...the gloomy weather didn't help any. I wound up really cutting my ride short. I'm thinking its my sickness catching up to me. Normally this happens when I don't eat enough but I definitely pigged out during the Super Bowl and had more than an adequate breakfast. Anyhow it wasn't completely worthless...I still got 70 miles of riding done in just over 4hours...I was hauling ass before I bonked though.

I had a decent workout today. It was super windy and probably too dangerous to be out there but I figured I'd be fine once I made it to the bike trail(about a 4 mile ride). I was fine but almost got pulled into piling on the train on a few occasions. The winds were in the low 20mph range with 35mph gusts that definitely hurt me but it was kinda fun at the same time. I was only out there for 35 miles mashing big gears on my TT bike...then when I got home I did 30 minutes of jump roping.

Forgot to post yesterdays workout.

I went out with the intension of doing a 100mile ride. I didn't feel all that great before hand and for the first 30 miles but I listened up and felt pretty good after. I was trying to go easy and for the most part I did other than the hills. On the flats I was paying close attention to my HR but in the hills I definitely hit it too hard. In the end I wound up doing 100miles in a little under 6hours. My HR on the flats was little over 130 for most of the ride but my average HR for the whole ride was 144 which is quite high for me. I wasn't paying much attention but that means my HR had to be close to 160 for most of the hills. Anyhow I felt fine during but I felt terrible afterwards. Luckily though it looks like my bronchitis is leaving me. I didn't cough all that much after the ride and I haven't coughed that much today...hopefully it stays that way.

Todays workout went pretty well once I got the bugs out of my legs. My quads were shot but after about 15 minutes of jump roping I was fine. I did some fast intervals but nothing too crazy. I just did about 60 minutes of skipping....then did some ab work before I headed to work.

I was planning on riding early in the morning with a coworker but he canceled for personal reasons. It was way too windy to ride by myself so I decided to just run(once I got out there it almost seemed like a bad idea to run in that much wind but it wasn't that bad...most of the time). It felt really weird to be out there running considering I haven't done it for so long. It wasn't so bad though. My right hip bugged me a bit but nothing too bad. I'm thinking I did a little over 7.5 miles in a little under 60 minutes. My average HR was 152 for the run.

My legs are complete crap today. I used a rolling pin, heat pads, over an hour of stretching and my quads just plain hurt. So I'm taking the day off the legs and I'm doing a really ridiculous ab day. I already did 2000 ab reps with a couple hundred lower back reps(reverse hypers) and I'm gonna do a few more things if I can stand it.

This morning before work I just did an hour of jump roping. It didn't feel too bad. I was expecting to be super sore still.

After I got off work I felt pretty good so I came home and did my about 1500 ab reps...relaxed and did a whole lot of nothing then went in my basement to workout more. I just did an easy 10minute jump rope warmup then a million sets of leg curls and leg extensions.

I may not get to workout tomorrow so I wanted to beat my legs up a bit. I'm gonna be babysitting my two nephews while my sister chaperons for her daughter's field trip. I'd get up to workout really early in the morning but the weathers gonna be terrible so I'll probably just do abs and push ups...things I can do while watching the kids.

This morning before work I just did an hour of jump roping. It didn't feel too bad. I was expecting to be super sore still.

After I got off work I felt pretty good so I came home and did my about 1500 ab reps...relaxed and did a whole lot of nothing then went in my basement to workout more. I just did an easy 10minute jump rope warmup then a million sets of leg curls and leg extensions.

I may not get to workout tomorrow so I wanted to beat my legs up a bit. I'm gonna be babysitting my two nephews while my sister chaperons for her daughter's field trip. I'd get up to workout really early in the morning but the weathers gonna be terrible so I'll probably just do abs and push ups...things I can do while watching the kids.

If you wanted to have your legs beaten up, all you had to do was ask!

Happy B-day VP!!!!!