Glaucoma and weight lifting?

9nines

Anyone know anything about the glaucoma risk from weight lifting?

If you search for "glaucoma" and "weight lifting" you find much references (I most are from same Brazilian study published last month.)

I knew that weight training increased your blood pressure, while lifting, pushing and pulling but never thought about damage to eyes from it. Ophthalmologists are warning it can increase risk of glaucoma, especially when holding breathe to get more power, which increases blood pressure more. The study measured pressure on eyes during weight training and found normal breathing increased the pressure 60% and ones that held breath at initial push/lift/pull increased pressure 90%.

I have lifted weights a while but have been lifting more aggressive and harder the last 9 months. Lately, I have noticed that when I blink or close my eyes sometimes, I see spots (like lights spots when you look at a bright light but in this case, that is not the source of the spots), always in same place. I thought it might be bruises in the eye or something, since always in same place and look the same.

I will go for an eye check up during next few months and will talk to an ophthalmologist about the risk. I will also try to study the risk more.

Hi 9nines... I don't know anything so sorry in advance, but I have had atrocious eyesight all my life so I don't know how much difference weight lifting could make to me XD

Spots in your eyes are definitely worth a check up... however it might not be related to weightlifting, simply a natural eye deterioation... any history in the family of glasses?

It is not really an eyesight problem. Before reading this study, I was thinking it might be bruised, within the eye. Pressure from weight lifting, I tend to hold my breath when using heavy weight to gain strength, which is basically increasing my blood pressure even more. I remember reading that lifting maximum weight while holding your breath can increase systolic pressure to over 400 mm HG. I doubt my pressure gets that high but I do hold my breath during the hard part sometimes to gain strength. Until now, I never thought about eye damage from that pressure.