NHL

JW

I forgot to mention that the worse the conditions the more I like it.

There's nothing like ruunning uphill, into the wind during a rainstorm.

something about just gutting it out that is fun (wierd huh??)

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oddly enough I too do better in bad weather...I ride my best in swealtering heat(110 heat index kinda heat) and I run my best in the rain...I do hate wind though...and I never like it unless its a light enough tail wind that I can't tell I have one and I feel like I'm just going faster because I'm incredibly fit...if I'm going too fast I know better

There's only one weather condition I REALLY don't like and that's hot & humid

It just drains me of all energy!! I ran a half marathon in those conditions once and it was just awful!

They actually closed the marathon course at the 4 hour mark.

Back to Hockey.....

In Canada there are always discussions of how expensive it is for your kids to play.

Very common for families to say that the mother works so the kids can play hockey.

One co-worker has a nephew who plays on a competitive 12 yr old team.

They have already spent $7,500 on hockey this season for equipment, dues & travel.

We didn't spend that much but it was something like $1200 to play(this was 9yrs ago) and we spent about $1000 a year on my stuff but thats only because the capitals assistant equipment manager was really close friends with my brother...I'm not sure how much I spent on food but I'd day we put in at least $3500US a year for everything(food and travel)

I actually played quite a bit in Canada when I was younger and I know most of our tournaments were inside...but there was no shortage of natural ice...I never really like skating on it though

No, it has to be very well maintained or you get all sorts of ruts and bumps on it.

Have you heard of spongey?

It's huge here in Winnipeg. Mostly played outdoors with broomball shoes and a sponge puck. There are leagues all over the place here.

Nope never heard of it...back to natural ice..even when nobody else has skated on it it just feels funny...I've even had a few games on ponds that use Zambonis and it just feels soft for some reason...I can't stop as quick...don't skate as fast and don't turn as well

I've only done that once...we had an ice storm in the Mid-Atlantic and for about 5 days I could skate all over my town. I loved it...we even made ice ramps...which was really stupid because we ruined our blades. Anyway we tried to extend that fun as long as possible...up until we would skate then jump over patches of asphault

Not really very much...little kids get into it for about 6 months then stop. In my area where I grew up it was big for people my brothers age(29 now) when he was 14-18 and I was 8-14. Not many people in my area could afford to play ice hockey and I think my brother spured kids on to play street hockey...I was always the youngest player and when my brother went to play in college there were only kids one year younger than him...then after they graduated high school I was all that was left...so all I did was skate and hit slapshots into the tennis court fencing for a year...then I stopped playing altogether after that. I think not playing with my brother all the time made me lose interest in ice/street hockey...it was the only thing we really liked doing together.

Well it's nice that you had that together

Street hockey was very big for my friends & I growing up.

The only bad thing about it is taking a stone to the face (sometimes slapshots taook a stone along for the ride)

I have a lot of fond memories from those after school games.

Wow...stones for pucks...before good street pucks came out we just used balls or a real puck with felt straped to the sides...it slid reasonably well on a smooth concrete of a tennis/basketball court.

By the way...what do you think of Mannon Rheume...I was pretty obsessed with her for a long time...I've got a hell of a lot of her worthless cards too but at least she looks good in them

Yes, she was a very hot item here for a few years!!!!

She has pretty much disappeared now. Fame is fleeting isn't it??

At least she had her shot at the pros.

Did you see the headlines re: Bob Gainey's daughter being lost at sea?

Swept off a tallship by a rogue wave! ( off of Cape Cod)

Scary stuff!

Nope...that really stinks. Hopefully they'll have luck finding her.

As for a good story about daughters Jim Schoenfeld's daughter was really hott. My brother asked her out but he never had a shot...I was way too young for her when I knew her. I saw her a couple times a week since she'd go the the caps practices all the time(the caps practice rink is where I used to play)

On my junior team all we talked about was sex once I got to the 11-12 age group. Some of us were pretty vile but I think they all picked that up from me. As for drinking I don't think my teamates drank until we were in the 13-14 group...we had a young assistant coach that actually bought us beer for tournaments we travelled to