Going to the Florida Keys!

nicole

So, I am going to Islamorada, FL at the end of March to practice yoga with Pattabhi Jois on his only trip to the US in 2007. I am pretty excited, but am not expecting to find a lot in the way of vegan food! We booked a motel with a kitchenette, so at least I can cook for myself (and save money?), but I'd love to go check out some places to eat and we are driving to Key West and stuff, so if you have any suggestions, let me know!

Also, we are flying into Ft Lauderdale and driving to the keys, so I have to stop at a grocery store along the way. Let me know if you know of one that would be on that route?! Thanks!!!

Great! Have fun. I was based in Ft. Lauderdale when I worked on my first cruise ship. I know we have 3 or 4 or more members from Florida who may be able to give you tips.

Check out the introductions section because I think 2 brand new members are from Florida.

I really like the Florida Keys! I've been there multiple times. Enjoy!

i live in Lehigh Acres ( SW FL )...

but i don't really know anything about Lauderdale nor Islamorada..

i'm sorry.. perhaps in your next visit to Florida, if you go to Orlando. ( or somewhere else.. lol ), i'll be able to give you some good advices..

but look, i just did some research on happycow.net ( they have a great guide on places to eat, it's really good ) and i've found some places you can go. i hope that helps. =)

http://www.happycow.net/north_america/usa/florida/fort_lauderdale/index.html

Edited by andgbr

Thanks for the tips! I have never been to the Keys before, so I'm really excited. I actually almost never go on vacation because there would be no one to take care of our three dogs. My husband is staying home this trip (he doesn't seem too upset... he doesn't like the beach), but it will still be fun for me! I am hoping that Whole Foods listed in the link will be on our way so I can stock up on food.

Thanks for the tips! I have never been to the Keys before, so I'm really excited. I actually almost never go on vacation because there would be no one to take care of our three dogs. My husband is staying home this trip (he doesn't seem too upset... he doesn't like the beach), but it will still be fun for me! I am hoping that Whole Foods listed in the link will be on our way so I can stock up on food.

In case you don't find the places listed you can still buy a lots of fruits.. fruitarian for a few days, what ya think? ( i'm kiddin' ! ).

Well, anyways, i hope you find those places, there's 2 places to eat, and 3 health-food store..

i hope you have a wonderful vacation!

So, I am going to Islamorada, FL at the end of March to practice yoga with Pattabhi Jois on his only trip to the US in 2007. I am pretty excited, but am not expecting to find a lot in the way of vegan food! We booked a motel with a kitchenette, so at least I can cook for myself (and save money?), but I'd love to go check out some places to eat and we are driving to Key West and stuff, so if you have any suggestions, let me know!

Also, we are flying into Ft Lauderdale and driving to the keys, so I have to stop at a grocery store along the way. Let me know if you know of one that would be on that route?! Thanks!!!

There's a Whole Foods in Ft Laud ~ 2000 North Federal Highway, Ft. Lauderdale, FL but, I'm not sure if you want to head North from airport to get there. If you can spend even ONE dinner in Ft. Laud, it will be worth it for Sublime (sublimeveg.com) which is one of the most amazing Vegan restaurants and close to the Whole Foods as well.

There's another Whole Foods going down between Hollywood & N Miami at 21105 Biscayne Blvd, Miami.

This one place looks cool too and plenty other places at this site as well: http://www.greenpeople.org/searchResults.cfm?memid=2570