What was your worst Riding/Running Day?

sydneyvegan

It was a couple of years ago when I was riding from Lands End to John O'Groats in the Uk. I was in Scotland and was about 11 days into the journey so I was pretty sore and had a good amount of chaffing to contend with. When I woke up I knew it would be a tough day as it was wet and miserable, so I put my wet weather gear on and started riding. After some gentle hills there was a solid 14 mile up hill stretch, it was then it started sleeting and a head wind came up (I had all my gear in panniers, which tended to act like a sail). At the top of the hill the road flattened out a little and I thought it would be a undulating ride through the highlands. It was then the head wind really picked up, and the sleet got worse, I was riding in low gear, and grinding my way along, I thought it couldn't get much worse. After hours of this I knew I was coming to a really steep 5 mile down hill run, I knew I would have to be careful as it was really slippery and I didn't really want to run off the road into a gorge, but I really needed to give the legs a rest As I neared the top of the down hill I could hear the wind gusting up the valley. As I started down the hill, my bike just stopped! The wind was so strong up the hill that my weight and gravity was not enough to get the bike to roll... After much swearing and cursing I ended up pedalling down a stupidly steep hill all the way to the bottom. At that point I was wet and cold and exhausted, so I called it a day and found somewhere to stay with warm fires and hot showers...

I was one of the worse days I have had on a bike.

I have other stories but Please Share any similar stories you have.

It was a couple of years ago when I was riding from Lands End to John O'Groats in the Uk

Cool, man, I've wanted to do the Jogle or Lejog thing for a couple years now. Wonder how long it would take me to run it...

I've had some pretty bad running days. I couple of times I've tried to run when sick, and just felt like crap. Barring illness, though, my worst run was a couple years ago when I did a 50K race only two weeks after another 50K. I had lots of energy and really wanted to finish the race, but my legs had other plans. About 10km into the run, my knee suddenly burst into agonizing pain. Every stride felt like a knife was jabbing into my knee. Even walking hurt, and the only way I could move forward at a decent pace was to sort of hop off bad leg while keeping it straight (think Terry Fox). I pulled out halfway, one of my only two DNFs. Luckily, it was just patelafemoral pain syndrome, and was easily fixed in a couple weeks with a little muscle strengthing and by not being such a bonehead.

• 2 weeks later...

I did this massive 90 mile hilly ride through the mountains on this remote road that I thought crossed through the mountains to the city on the other side without checking any maps. The road went nowhere. It was 90 degrees, no wind, I was by myself, ran out of food and water. I bonked up there big time. I thought I was going to die that day. I ran into a guy in a jeep who happened to be on some excursion up there and he gave me some water. I made it back into civilization. Not much else to say there.

That day sucked big time.

I must say it was either running into that dumb redneck last week who almost killed me or my wonderful day of flats. I woke up and got on my bike early and noticed a flat before I got out the door(took the glass out). Then I rode about 8miles and got a flat...switched it out...less than 1/4mile later I got another one in a different spot(I wasn't exactly running over glass bottles either). Of course I was out of tubes so I tried calling friends but they were all in class. Anyway I was saved by some guy that carries extra spare tubes and he lent me one...I was also out of air so he gave me an air cartidge to which was very kind of him. Obviously I turned home after that but I was very affraid of getting another flat.

Depending where you are...thats a good opportunity to follow them home and do something stupid when they leave there car. I've actually had people tailgate me in the city with no other cars around...then park right in my view...not too smart

I figure I might as well post another.

I entered a race a couple of years ago in Canberra called 12 hours of Darkness. It ran from 6pm until 6 am in the State forest, I had good lights and I was in a team of 4 so I figure it couldn't be too bad. I first began to worry when we went out for a practice lap, the course was designed so that you had to get off your bike in sections and carry it over log piles and other obstacles, it also had a large amount of fire road climbing (something which suited the Roadies). The race started off ok, I wasn't going to badly and I was getting respectable lap times, it was then it started to get cold. It got down to about -4C, which isn't that cold I know, but then everything stared to get icy. They had to close parts of the course due to ice, and parts on peoples bikes where freezing solid. Combine that with trying to climb over ice logs wearing cleats (Even with MTB shoes, the cleat sticks out a bit) and it makes for a seriously unpleasant evening.