advice for a friend

chesty leroux

One of my best friends wants to build muscle and shape up, mostly to improve his baseball game. He's been asking my advice and I've been telling him what I can, but we are seriously starting at square one here. He didnt know what a calorie was. I thought he was joking, but he's a skinny guy so I guess he has never been concerned about them before. What books should i reccomend to him just to start out??? He is interested in functional fitness more than bodysculpting.

Any suggestions? or info?

a friend of ours gave him a weight gain supplement and he thinks he is just going to see results by drinking this stuff, i dont know how to explain that there is alot more to it than that.

p.s. he isnt a vegan, but i did get him to eat a mostly vegan thanksgiving meal. and he was a vegetarian for a week once maybe he can be persuaded again.

Tell him to not waste his time getting big. There are lots of skinny guys that can hit home runs. You don't need to be all that strong either...just fast. When I was 14(played one season after quitting for over 3 years) I could hit a baseball well over 400ft. Granted I was big but speed is what did it. I was also strong but only for being a 14 yr old. There are lots of great baseball players that lift but don't get big and still hit the big ones. Anyway tell him to focus on speed and eating healthy vegan food in general.

• 2 weeks later...
Tell him to not waste his time getting big. There are lots of skinny guys that can hit home runs. You don't need to be all that strong either...just fast. When I was 14(played one season after quitting for over 3 years) I could hit a baseball well over 400ft. Granted I was big but speed is what did it. I was also strong but only for being a 14 yr old. There are lots of great baseball players that lift but don't get big and still hit the big ones. Anyway tell him to focus on speed and eating healthy vegan food in general.

i was reading an article on bodybuilding.com that said something to the tune of baseball players need to strenghten their legs and their core to avoid arm injuries. I think he would prolly be cool with basic plyometrics and some light dumbell training for endurance. he's totally clueless tho. He doesnt do much of anything, outside of his practices and games for the team he's on now. i think he would feel alot better if he had some sort of regimen.

I think you need very little. Lots of great baseball players have lasted 20yrs with little muscle and strength.