zig zag training

i've heard its impossible to build muscle and lose fat at the same time. I don;t want to beef up, but i do want to be fit, but my main goal is fat loss. I've heard of zig zag training where one week you eat more calories for building muscle and the next week you cut cals and up cardio. Anyone have experience with this?

i've heard its impossible to build muscle and lose fat at the same time.
That is inaccurate. A person can build muscle and lose fat at the same time.
I don;t want to beef up' date=' but i do want to be fit, but my main goal is fat loss. I've heard of zig zag training where one week you eat more calories for building muscle and the next week you cut cals and up cardio. Anyone have experience with this?[/quote']I have never heard of zig zag training. I would consume more calories on lifting days and less calories on non-lifting days. I took a sneak peak at your training log. Has your back recovered 100%? I noticed a few isolation exercises in your routine. I would only do compound exercises. It's my personal preference. I saw a chest press in your routine, do you mean a Bench or Floor Press? The other exercises are fine Rows, Overhead Press (OHP). I think that eventually your routine should consist primarily of:

Bench or Floor Press variations

Rows

OHP variations

Deep Squat

Deadlift

Straight Leg Deadlift

Ab work

I would suggest doing High Intensity Interval Training (H.I.I.T.) 5 days a week for cardio. http://www.trainforstrength.com/Endurance1.shtml

hey vegan momma thanks for replying. I havent posted in my log in forever haha. Because im always neglecting my working out for school and work and beer. But once again i;m trying to get back in gear. The main workout i do is the body for life one because thats what i was doing when i learned to weight train. I bumped up the inensity a bit. I'm doing some sets of lighter to warm up, then a heavy weight to failure, then a lower weight again to failure every other day then 25 min cardio. the other days around 40-60 min of cardio.

my back is ok, i have to be careful because its easy to aggravate it. I have to pay really close attention to my form and my stabilizing.

i'll check out the hit thing thanks.

Yeah, from my own experience, you can build muscle while losing weight. I have managed to do so when I am cutting lightly. When I was losing a bunch of weight at once, I worked-out, but lost a lot of muscle in the process. So, it seems to me so long as you only try to lose fat slowly, you can still gain muscle, but you will gain faster of course if you are not trying to lose weight at the same time.