KIDNEY DIALYSIS--NUTRITION HELP NEEDED!!!

Patrick

Hello All,

My girlfriend's mother (she is 75 years old) has just begun kidney dialysis treatment. The treatment is quite extensive (3x/per week for 5 hours). It is quite taxing, and all the fluid she has retained is slowly being eliminated. It appears that she will be receiving treatment for quite some time; maybe for the rest of her life. She has lost a bit of weight (7kg) too.

I read that there are many foods, minerals, etc. one must avoid while receiving this treatment, even her daily fluid intake is limited/monitored.

Would anyone please provide me knowledgable feedback in this delicate/trying situation.

I really appreciate your help.

Thanks---Patrick

In a class I took we learned about dialysis. We watched some video and it emphasized the active life a person can still lead. The class never went into nutrition. I would believe she should not be on the atkins diet because protein will strain the kidney. I'm pretty much in the dark about this myself.

Patrick,

I'm sorry for your girlfriend's mother. Dialysis can be rough. While there are general guidelines to follow, each patient is different and should follow the dietary restrictions set by her health care providers. They are the ones who know exactly how much kidney function she may have left and what her serum blood levels show as far as electrolyte, protein, mineral, etc balance.

If she has not gotten nutritional information from her health care providers then perhaps your girlfriend should make some inquiries. Many times patients are too shocked or upset to fully absorb the information given to them during visits to their doctor/clinic, yet will answer "yes" when asked if they understand everything that's been conveyed to them. It's a common type of miscommunication and therefore important to follow up on anything that she might have missed.

I wish her luck.