cheese cravings

milochka

Occasionally I crave cheese but ever since there has been good vegan cheese I just buy it...I crave it less because its not cheap. Before there was good cheese when I craved cheese I simply dealt with the cravings. I just looked at it like anything else I want that I can't have. I want a Lamborghini but I will never get one so I just deal with it.

true dat, veganpotter, but i personally don't feel that i should feel deprived in any way on a vegan diet. i tried follow your heart gourmet vegan cheese but spit that piece of garbage right out *no offense to anyone who enjoys it* ... because when i feel deprived, i feel that i'm restraining myself in some way and want more of the "forbidden" even though i'm making a conscious choice *but try telling that to my subconscious* in other ways, i'm looking for positive reinforcement of non-cheese ways and in more than a year of search, i have yet to find one

Good point by Potter. Eating any dairy does cause the death of male "dairy" cows because they don't grow as big and fast as male "beef" cows. The females at least get to feed because they are then impregnated to make more babies and milk.

But back to the original question. No, there is no vegan cheese substitute that will take the place of your cheese cravings. Cheese cravings have been very difficult for many vegans and it's definitely a mind over matter or ethics over cravings situation. I was a HUGE cheese head and so was my husband. I stopped purchasing it, period. And then I dealt with it.

Store bought cheese substitutes suck. I suggest "The Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook" by Stepaniak and the Random Girl website for recipes. Both helped us. I also find that adding light miso to certain dishes (as well as nutritional yeast) gives them a cheesy taste. However, if you're looking to bite into a hunk of vegan "cheese" and have the same experience as dairy - it's just not going to happen any more than biting into a vegan meat substitute will be the same as biting into a steak. It will never be the same and maybe that's a really good thing.

I think it would be better for you to not be looking for a subsitute to replace cheese, but rather just find anything which you enjoy equally as cheese, and eat that instead. The thing is, this might require some exploration into new things, which in itself can be interesting too.

Also, trying to replicate a food in order to sustain an unwanted habit isn't smart in my opinion, considering there could come a moment where the craving overpowers you and then find yourself eating real cheese again.

So, my suggestion: Explore new foods and experiment a little without the intent to replicate what you already know you like, and you will most likely find something else you like as well which will take your mind off the other stuff. It's like developing a new craving to replace an old one.

what do you guys substitute your cheese cravings with? i have a really hard dropping my cheese habit. like i can go a few months w/o eating cheese but in times of great stress it hits me hard. <3

when i would have a craving, i'd go online, and look at pictures of veal calves, their enslaved mothers on the dairy farm, and scenes from the slaughter house. cravings disappeared right away.

I don't get cheese cravings anymore, but when I did I satisfied it by making vegan mac and cheese. I made the "cheese" part by mixing miso paste, vegetarian yeast and olive oil. Add water to thin it out but keep it pretty thick for the most "cheese" like texture. Eat it quick and hot though because it'll congeal pretty quick.

I don't get cheese cravings anymore, but when I did I satisfied it by making vegan mac and cheese. I made the "cheese" part by mixing miso paste, vegetarian yeast and olive oil. Add water to thin it out but keep it pretty thick for the most "cheese" like texture. Eat it quick and hot though because it'll congeal pretty quick.

thanks, sweety