HSOrlandos 2013 Journal: Being vegan in a non vegan world

Thanks for the vote of confidence Karmacharger! No matter how frustrated I get about my exercise, and fitness levels I always seem to have people around, in person, or online that are ready and willing to psych me up. Just today I got some praise from two of the trainers. Basically I was telling them how far I ran because they asked when I got back. I tried to downplay it, I ran 4-4.5 miles, but they wouldn't let me. It's kind of embarassing, but awfully nice at the same time.

Anyway back to my workout. I ran between 4, and 4.5 miles, and then hit legs. The run took me longer than I thought, but due to the hot Florida weather I try not to run to fast right now. It took me about an hour, but in the end I did walk for about a half mile, so I'm not too sure how long the run took. I also now understand why people don't train legs right after a run lol. Even though I didn't do as much as I thought I did I still had a great training session.

leg press:12 reps @ 180lbs, 8reps @ 270lbs, 8 reps@ 180lbs

seated leg exten:: 3 sets and ranged from 8-10 reps and weight between 60-70lbs

seated leg curls: 3 sets of 8-10 and weight was around 50-65

standing calf raises: on one leg holding 10lb weight-3 sets each leg

abs was about 60 various cruches

Then I stretched, and got ready for work

• Replies 878
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've actually been running further than 2, but that was before summer started. In April I had just gotten up to 6 miles, once or twice, but when the humidity began it wiped me out and 2 miles was hard to bear. I was talking to the running trainer and she thinks I may finally be getting used to the humidity, FINALLY!! It's only taken like 6 weeks.

Some days I feel so far from getting my certification. And this was one of those days. I was working all day and everyone that had a question, it seemed I couldn't answer. Mostly it was stuff about injuries, and what cardio equipment to use, and similar things like that. And since I haven't taken my course yet I feel totally unprepared to answer any of these types of questions. I wonder if I'll ever be comfortable with this. I have no choice since it's a big part of the personal fitness training industry. It just seems that everyone else is so confident, but I'm not. I wonder if it's even possible for me to be a good trainer. But since this is all I want in life it has to be. Anyway I didn't workout today because I worked the entire time the gym was open. I don't know if I'll have a chance to train tomorrow because I have to go to the bank after work, then my brother needs the car for a job interview, finally! On the plus side the gym is getting a lot of new equipment, and everything should be installed by tomorrow I believe. It looks very new and shiiny lol, I can't wait to try it out.

I feel better today about everything. I just had to remind myself that two weeks ago I wasn't even working in the fitness industry yet. Anyway I am getting more comfortable helping to show people how to use machines and stuff like that. I also have to remind myself that I was hired in this department "before" I even got certified, amd everyone else, that I can tell, has their certs already. I suppose I could be embarassed about this, or I could consider it a big honor, and maybe some of the people here really believe in me to take this kind of a risk. The risk thst I may not get certified, but that isn't even an issue.

Anyway I did not get a chance to check out the new equipment, but I'll do that tomorrow before I run with my group. I'm thinking I'll do back and chest maybe. So excited to try out the new equipment can't wait!

Today I just had time for a quick warmup on an eliptical for 10 minutes, and then some back exercises only.

I started by checking out the new Life Fitness resistance equipment. The machines are shiny, new and basically just newer versions of what we used to have. I liked the lat pulldown machine quite a bit, I guess it is new and improved bewcause I could tell a difference with the grip area, height adjustment etc. I also did a row machine which was pretty cool. I ended up completing 4 sets of each ranging from 50-70 lbs. I was able to manage about 10 reps at 50, but only about 4 or 5 at 70. Then I went to another room, and did some bent over rows, and another low row machine which is new. These were also 4 sets. Then I ran two miles with my group. The trainer was 15 minutes late so we went at a faster pace, but I actually kept up, yeah! I think we completed two miles in 15-20 minutes, definitely under 20. It was also slightly rainy, so that's another reason we went faster. I love running in the rain!

I am so tired!!!!!!!!

This morning I woke up at 3:45 am, went to work by 4:45, then finished at 10am.

This was also my brothers first day at a new job, so I ended up having to stay Downtown all day, and didn't get the bus home until 6:13pm at the Y. The reason I had to stay Downtown was because I had to go back to work at 2 for some training on the new Life Fitness equipment. So for two hours the LF rep talked to a group of us, and demonstrated the equipment. There is one new piece that is pretty damn cool though. Besides the signature line which is basically all the circuit training machines they have a few others. I think she called it a d.a.p., dual adjustable pulley. Anyway you can do so much with this piece, that you don't need any other equipment at all. There's different exercises you can do that mimic sports related movements, and if you have one of those training vests with all the different places with clips you can do assisted pushups Rocky style ha ha. There are so many exercises that I really don't remember them all. Anyway I also briefly talked to the guy in charge of Fit Linx, and I think they may start training me soon for that. All that is, is basically setting people up on Fitlinx, and showing them how to do the machines in the circuit.

Edited by hsorlando

Almost forgot to post my workout today. After I finished the training thing I took the Cardio Jump class. Except for my feet hurting so much I wished I could take them off lol, I was fine. One minute intervals on each station.

Station 1: run down line of steps straddling and continuing down line; repeat

2: squat jumps while lifting medicine ball overhead

3: this was actually three stations in one-

jump sideways, or hop over hurdles/ run down ladder right foot first in each square/ jump sideways over rope / get to end, repeat, other side leading

4 jump/hop onto high step 4 risers on each side, land in squat, jump down

inbetween we did jump rope, jumping jacks, plyometric lunges, squats against wall holding at 90 degrees, it seemed like forever.

Then at the end we did pushups, and I had sweat pouring off me because I was so exhausted, which is what I wanted of course, finished with abs

I was going to do the Body Pump class, but I decided I needed to get home as early as I could. So I got to wait for the bus for over half an hour, then walk home almost a mile on my sore feet. Well that's about it. I've got to go to bed now, good night vbbf!

Edited by hsorlando

Ok, Thursday I was officially exhausted, 7 days of work in a row. So when I got off I took the day off. I didn't want to but I definitely needed the rest.

Today was not the day I wanted it to be . I did get to the gym and took a shorter than usual Body Pump class, and really enjoyed it. And even though my last BP class was almost 2 weeks ago, I felt really strong throughout. I'm finally feeling like I'm getting stronger with bench presses. I managed to get through 5+ minutes of the bench press track, at a 25 lb barbell weight. This is up from a 20 lb barbell, hey it's only 5 pounds but it's still 5 pounds!

Anyway after the gym is pretty much when everything went downhill. My brother, and mom thought it would be nice to go as a family to the Downtown lake where they do the fireworks and walk around with my two nieces. I found it all kind of pointless as we would get there way too early for anything to be open yet. but I went along with it anyway. I knew we wouldn't be staying for the fireworks because my two nieces are still quite young. I don't know why but my brother just knows exactly what buttons to push to make me so crazy. It usually centers around me getting rides from my mom, in her car I might add, that I have co-signed for. And of course about my always going to the gym, and about my being vegan. The last two are very important to me, and quite a big part of my life. He just doesn't get it, and of course his life centers around his two daughters, but he feels that everyone elses life should too. I love my nieces, but I really don't want anything to do with them after he says things about me being heartless, and calls me hurtful names. Of course the girls don't understand this, and they of course don't understand when I don't want to be around the family. Anyway after Vegan Vacarion if I get enough hours at work, I think I'll continue to get around 30ish, I will probably look for another place to live. My mom wants to move back downtown too, but she feels that my brother needs her help right now. I can not stand the thought of living with him for another year! Maybe he needs my help too, but after all the mean things he's said to me I don't want to help anymore. As it is I help more financially than anyone else at the moment, but I guess that doesn't count. This is why I don't have the money I need for better foods, and where some of our bickering starts. Anyway now that everyone knows about my problems haha, I'll finish the depressing post.

Family can be a big challenge when changing generations old life styles, which I know from personal experience. Know that your diet and exercise is moderate and reasonable. When you're able to see a baited comment shot at you like an arrow, you can sometimes pause, step aside figuratively, and snatch the arrow as it passes. If you're able to return patience and true kindness, the situation can change miraculously. I'd be challenged to stay in your living situation though, and I support you in getting your own place, which you can maintain as a cruelty free zone, and a safe space, even your bro and nieces can visit. You love 'em, but don't have to let them drown you. Take care of your self or you'll be of no help to others.

Thanks!

Today I went for a run. I ran for 4.5 miles, and then cooled down for about 1/4 to 1/2 mile. It was soooooo hot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But I did it! . I did stop in the middle for a sip of water at a park, but then continued on. I also think I may have figured out my workout schedule. I'm one of those people that likes to know beforehand what I'm going to do.

Sunday: If I'm off: Step, and Body Pump group classes

Monday: rest day, or weight training and some form of cardio if worked Sunday

Tuesday: weight training (haven't figured out what yet) & run with trainer & group

Wednesday: Cardio Jump class, and Body Pump class

Thursday: weight training?, and run (possibly with group)

Friday: rest day, or Body Pump class if I don't do weights Thursday

Saturday: my long run of the week

It looks more full than it really is. Right now my schedule is Monday-Friday mornings, but it could and most likely will change periodically. At least I know what I'll do if I can't get my workout on Sundays. Then instead of having my rest days be Monday, and Friday, they'll be Sunday, and probably Friday.

So in all it would be 5 days of cardio 3 days at an hour and 2 days between 30-60 minutes. And for weight training it would be four times a week, two of those days being Body Pump classes because I really have seen a lot of improvement with what I can lift taking these classes.

I keep trying to figure out why overhead shoulder presses are so difficult for me. One trainer suggested that it might be a weak core. I know my abs are strong, so that's leading me to believe it may be a weak back. This is probably my weakest area on my body. I have some trouble with clean and presses, and overhead stuff, I tend to lean back no matter the weight. I do various rows, pulldowns, etc., but maybe I should incorporate something more for the erectors. I'm thinking that if I strengthen those muscles then perhaps my difficulties that I'm having will go away. Feel free to comment if you want. I'm going to ask someone tomorrow at the gym for a second opinion about this.

Had a decent time in Step, but was just beat in Body Pump. I did the same weights on Friday, so I know it's just a nutrition issue, not eating enough, or good enough. I've warned my mom that if she, and my brother think I'm difficult now with what I choose to eat, it's most likely going to be worse when I get back from VV08. The reason I say that is because I imagine I will get highly inspired to eat better when I meet a bunch of other healthier vegans in two weeks. So I'll hopefully be chewing, and sipping on more greens, fruits, and other healthy stuff.

Today was a rest day. Tomorrow I will run with my group, and do some weights before the run. I'm leaning towards shoulders, not sure what else yet. I may just do machines for shoulders to see exactly how strong they are. I also want to see how I do on the overhead press, since when I stand I do terribly on those.

I'm not even going to post anything about food, because I'm still in a financial crisis of sorts. Anyway when this is sorted out I will start logging my food intake again.

Work is still wonderful, and I'm feeling a lot more comfortable with everything. One of the members happened to see me on my run on Saturday, he was at his kids baseball game at the park. It still amazes me at how many people in this area are seriously into their workouts. Maybe it's the hot weather, everyone wants to wear shorts and look good in them.

My run sucked! I know it's because I'm not eating enough. I did weigh myself this morning before I ate, and the scale said 138. I guess it's pretty accurate because it's a doctors scale, and is used by everyone at the gym. I think if I could manage to lose another 5-10 pounds I'd be set. Anyway this morning when I finally got my break at work I had a peanut butter and jelly sandwich on ww. I'm pretty sure the jam was sugar free, and I also had a banana, and my third cup of coffee. Later in the afternoon I had two burritos, and some cheap corn chips. I can't wait until I have money to buy some good food, only a few days to go! Then before I went back to the gym to workout I had a soy yogurt, blackberry, it was veryyummy, but it was so full of sugar.

I warmed up for ten minutes on an elyptical, then I did some shoulders. I think I did 3 or 4 sets of everything. I tried out the new, and old shoulderpress machine, I liked the new one more. I managed 30lbs on it, and could have done a few at a heavier weight. Then I went to another weight area, and tried the new Life Fitness machine- Dual Adjustable Pulley. It was quite a bit of fun. I did some lateral raises, but since it was my first time adjusting the machine to various heights I kept banging the machine, Then I changed one of the grips, and did some upright rows. Then I moved to a bench and did some arnold presses, and called it quits. I forgot to do front, and rear delt raisies, but I'll get them next time. My weight for the arnold presses was 12 pound dumbells,could have gone a lot heavier probably. For the lateral raisies on the pulley I'm not sure what I used, and the upright rows were like 25 pounds I think. My run was terrible. I don't know how I even got through it. I just feel so drained from not eating properly, but I'm still doing my best to get in my workouts. So tonight I got theough a two mile run, and then went home. I will admit for the past couple of days I have had a bit of a scratchy throat, and runny nose, but otherwise feel fine. So maybe that's taken some of my energy too. Anyway I need to get to sleep, got to be at work early. Other than waking up at 3:45 am I love the early shift!!

Skipped my workout today because I'm still feeling a bit lousy, and have no energy.

However I am NOT going to miss my run tomorrow night at 6pm with my small group. We are now running together two days a week. So I can now be sure to get in 3 runs a week. I hope I'll feel better, at least tonight I had some pasta, so that should give me some fuel. I think I'll train chest tomorrow night too, probably before the run. I'll see how I feel tomorrow night.

Today I ate 2 peanut butter sandwiches for breakfast, then another sandwich with deli slices for lunch, then pasta, with garlic bread for dinner. Ugh, I am so sick of bread, I usually never eat it, and this past week I've had it every damn day, usually more than once.

Healing vibes to you. Feel good soon.

A bag of whole green mung dahl from an Indian or Chinese grocer is a very cheap and healthy addition to anyone's diet. They can be sprouted, made into soup, where they seem to dissapear into the broth, or eaten like other cooked beans. They're high protein and easily digestible, too. I'm on a very tight budget and know some frugality tricks.

I'm sick of bread, too, and resolve to eat less.

I didn't run ! I think I need rest, and sleep. So I'm going to rest and sleep ! Anyway at least I get paid tomorrow, yeah! Sometimes a break is a good thing, at least I'll be well rested before I arrive in Portland . Not much else to post, just taking it easy, until I can push myself again. Then watch out!!!!

I don't remember the last time I've only worked out 3 times, it'll be 3 if I workout tomorrow. Oh yeah, it was probablythe last time I felt bad.

I feel better, so that's good, so hopefullyby the morning I'll feel even better, and go to the gym.

Today I woke up at 3:45am, the usual when I work, and didn't get anything to eat for 5 hours, and fifteen minutes! Then I scoffed down two pb&j sandwiches on whole wheat. Then I didn't get to eat for another 6.5-7 hours, then I had two burritos. I know this is not a good way to start feeling better, lol, well actually I'm not laughing. I did get paid, but my dillemma is that I want to save everything for my trip. Now all I have to do is get through the next 6 days, get back to feeling energised, and good, buy a few things for my tripfor VV08, and pack!

hi hayley, haven't stopped by the blog in a while. i just read about your thinking your back is weak. try hyperextensions with a 5 or 10 lb plate held to your chest. that has helped my lower back and therefore my posture and core strength a lot.

are you excited! vv08 is soooooo close! see you soon!

Incredible day today, it was just so awesome! Especially when I got back to the gym!

Last night I got to bed around eleven, and slept so well until I got up at 8:15am. Then I had a berry almond luna bar and some coffee with silk creamer, and sweetener. I also felt energised, and back to normal, yeah! Then I went out to do some stuff with my mom. There was a dentist that was doing free teeth polishings today for a charity event, so I got a free polish/clean. I haven't been to the dentist forever, it's been over ten years, and then some. I had a terribly mean old man for a dentist that pretty much traumatised me as a kid, so that's why I was never fond of going, lol. Then I went to a hair salon, bought some Chanel sunglasses for 15.00, regularly 45.00, and got my eyebrows done. The lady that was selling the designer products also had purses, but they were all leather of course. After that I had a small salad with oil and vinegar,and some crackers. Then I went to workout!!!!!!!

It was a bit rainy, but I had a deep desire to run, so I had to run. I didn't want to overdo it, especially since I'm just getting over this stupid bug. I ran for 3-3.5 miles, then did some bicep, and triceps. I was on a time crunch so I only got 4 exercises total. There were 3 sets of each exercise. I started with unilateral seated bicep curls with a twist, and standing tricep kickbacks. The first set was 20 reps, each exercise, and 8pound dumbell. Secind set was 12 lb weight and 15 reps for bicep,and I think 12 for kickbacks. Third set I put back 12, grabbed 209, but they were too heavy. At least I tried, so I had my 8s and did my 3rd set.

Then I used the new bicep machine and ranged from 20-30 lbs for 3 sets, about 8-10 reps each time. The last mav=chine I used was the new tricep dip machine that was pretty cool. I started with the weight on the machine, it said 70, and hammered out 2 sets of 8, then my last set I put down to 50lbs, and did naother 8-12 reps. I had to finish early as I was meeting my mom at the front desk, and we were canceling the family membership. I get to go for free, and my mom and brother didn't want to have to pay for the family membership, oh well.

The last part of my day was also pretty good! I had to go and try to pick out a bathing suit,since before the trip I didn't own one, and I live in Orlando, and I'm going on vacation. Anyway I endedup at KMart, not expecting to find anything, but thought I would at least check their selection. After a while I found one that I liked, and I was more than pleasantly surprised when I tried it on!!

So now I have bought the hardest item I had to find, and only need a few other things.

Today after work I stayed and did a 45 minute Muscle Toning class. I used 7 and 12 pound weights. Except for the overhead shoulder press I did great. Warmup was five minutes of cardio, then started with 12lb weights and did squats with one foot on step. Then the move became more advanced, to add balance into it, with a knee raise, then we turned the knee raise into a kick. I think there were like three sets with each leg on the step, then we did stationary squats while holding the heavy weights. Next we started with shoulder presses, using lighter weights, then I think there were front rows, then front raises, and lateral raises, then a move from one to the other. We also did chest flies lying on the step, then bicep concentration curls, chest press, tricep extentions, dips, abdominals,and stretching.