VBBF Runner's Support Group

JW

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm glad to see you on the thread, CollegeB! I agree with L/G about the fruits. If I don't eat enough fruit during the day, I can definitely feel my energy level decrease. This is especially true since I started running more. I would also HIGHLY recommend probiotics. They really help runners (and joggers and everybody else) fight off those pesky colds =).

I'm sure you'll be back to your previous running level in no time, HS. I know how you feel about taking time off. I can't even afford to take one day off without it completely throwing off my rhythm. If I run on Saturday but not on Sunday, you can be sure that I'll be running like a guy in a three-legged race!

This previous week was a fall-back week for me, so I cut my mileage waaaay back (actually more than I intended to). Starting Monday, I'll start back up at 51 mpw. I can't wait!

Ah, shoes. Possibly the single most important piece of equipment a runner will ever use . I guess it depends on how hardcore of a runner you are. I've heard of some people who really pound the pavement and buy two pairs at a time, so they can switch off every other day! Personally, I kind of go by intuition (bad, I know) and just buy them when I feel like my feet are getting a little closer to the pavement than I want them to be. That might be around 3 pairs per year, and I run around 50 mpw (moving up to 60 this week, woo-hoo). It's so important to have good shoes in good condition, so I would always err on the side of caution.

• 2 weeks later...
How often do you think it's necessary to get new running shoes?

You are supposed to replace running shoes often – not that I ever do, I run mine into the ground – as even though shoes can still appear in good condition they soon lose their support and cushioning.

I did read somewhere that you were supposed to replace after x miles, I can’t remember exactly but it wasn’t very far at all.

• 3 weeks later...

I suck at running. I love it to death, but I never seem to get better. When I run with a group I'm generally one of the slowest. Sometimes I end up being faster, but not usually. I've been running outside for a year now,and I just don't see myself making any progress, not getting faster, etc. Even when I'm more consistent with it, I don't improve. Yes, people have said I've gotten better, but part of me just thinks they're being nice. Oh well, I'm not giving up, just ranting a bit about not improving on my runs.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, if you count my 12 minutes of interval running on Friday I ran three times this week. Lately, at least this past week or 2, my calf muscles have been getting really sore after I run. I'm not sure why, it just feels like a tight muscle, this happens mostly on my right leg. Maybe I should start doing yoga.

Yeah maybe a massage.

On Sunday the other lady that I ran with was complaining about her sore calves too! At least now I know it wasn't just me. I think tomorrow I'll go yell at the instructor!

When I have a minute to come up with a new workout schedule I will do my best to add running intervals on one of the days. Then maybe I will finslly get faster! I know I have the endurance, now it's time to work on pace.

Ok, it isn't just me. Today I spoke to the head of group fitness and I'm not the only one that's mentioned how sore/hurt they were from running intervals. I got through half the step class before my right calf just couldn't take anymore. I was supposed to run, but I never would have gotten through it tonight. I may just have to take off more time from running, as it hurts to even walk right now. I do want to start to do interval work, but not at the level that I injured myself.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I'm slowly but surely getting back to running three days a week. I've decided for now that night runs are not for me. At least not when I wake up at 4 am,and don't get a nap! So for now I'm going to run Mondays, Wednesdays,and probably Saturday mornings/afternoons. I want to get back to absolutely loving to run,and I was starting to miss that part.

The only tip I have is to just do it. But this is easy for me to say as I live in a place where I can pretty much run anytime, with no extreme weather temperatures. Also the first time I ran outside I could only run half the distance I could run on the treadmill. Running outside is totally different/harder. But it is also a lot more scenic, and interesting. I also feel that the time goes by quicker. Joining a group is also a lot of fun, and the instructors will not let you give up, even if you have to slow to a walk.