Any other cyclists with Ischial Bursitis?

I rode for 17 years. It was my "thing". Even when I did tri's for three years, I always came out ahead in the swim, but really passed tons of folks on the bike, which was good, since I'd get passed by some folks in the run. I rode EVERY sat. AND sunday, as well as one or two nights a week.

For the last 9 years of riding, I was experiencing spasms in my low back. I kept riding because everyone said it was just muscle spasms due to the wrong bike, or the wrong saddle, or the wrong fit, or the wrong whatever. I tried various saddles, some really hard, some really cushy, some with a cutaway....and even bought a suspension seat post.

The pains became more intense and were debilitating. I'd have to stop at mile 18-20, and it would be so bad that even stretching didn't make it go away enough for me to continue more than 2-3 miles .

CHiro's, neurologists, ortho's couldn't figure it out, even with MRI's and x-rays. SOmeone finally figured out ischial bursitis and offered inflammatories, but I didn't like the idea of taking a drug forever.

I tried different bikes, incl. recumbents, which I really don't like, but was willing to use if it meant I could ride. Nothing worked.

I did strength training specifically for that area, to no avail.

And being the "Stretch queen", I have a repertoire of stretches that only dancers would compare to.

But, it didn't help.

I just wonder if anyone else has experienced this and can tell me what you did?

I was ready to have a surgeon cut all those parts out, but no one would do it.

I haven't ridden either my mtn. bike or my road bike in over three years.

I miss it a lot.

Are you typically riding a road bike or a tri/tt bike??? As for saddles have you tried a Blackwell Research Adamo Saddle??? It may be worth looking into...some are leather so lookout but many are not. If your lucky you may have a LBS with demo saddles form Blackwell.

Are you typically riding a road bike or a tri/tt bike??? As for saddles have you tried a Blackwell Research Adamo Saddle??? .

I'm not riding anything now. But I was riding road bikes and mtn. bikes. Mine is a Cannondale CAAD3 Aluminum. Before that I had a Trek Steel bike. I also have a Giant ATX880. I rode other folks bikes, too, to see if it helped. I bought 8 different saddles, including one I can't remember the name of that was in two pieces.

The problem is not the type of bike or saddle at this point. I'm not sure it ever was the problem. The problem is sitting, period.

I can't even sit in the car for more than 15 min. without discomfort.

As long as I'm sitting, I'm on the bursa that's inflammed. And as long as I'm putting any kind of pressure on that inflammed bursa, it's going to be uncomfortable.

That's why recumbents didn't help either.

I'm not going to buy more saddles or bikes that I can't ride on; I'm looking more for a solution to the bursitis.

My mom's body is riddled with rheumatoid arthritis. And so is my uncle's on my dad's side. Neither of them led a physical life like me, but I see the signs of arthritis encroaching, and hope to put a stop to it.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Part of your problem may be your frame. A lot of pain for every cyclist comes from vibration and the best way to solve that is a carbon bike....I know its not a nice thing to hear but it solves a lot of problems for my customers...many have had multiple back surgeries and carbon frames and bars pretty much solved everything. Unfortunately it isn't a cheap fix.