Enough calories

Could someone please explain the idea of too few calories. For instance, there are days when I can be perfectly fine eating fruit all day and then taking in a couple of light meals, but I am concerned when I feel like I have not eaten enough because of the "body holding on to weight in case of famine -from our ancestors" belief. Is it possible to lose weight without eating a certain number of calories as long as you are full, energized and seeminly getting enough nutrients? Or do I need to count calories to ensure that I get in a certain minimum a day?

If you've got a lot of weight to lose I suggest not counting(it'll make you go nuts) and eating as little as you can stand to eat. Find out what amount of food you can stand to eat...then eat less than that...it all depends on how much you're willing to dislike not eating. As for holding fat...that can happen but not for a while(assuming you have a lot of weight to lose???).

I believe the minimum calorie intake is approximately 10 times your ideal lean body weight.

The ideal lean weight is for people with "normal" amounts of muscle.

For me, 5-10 man it would be about 1500 calories

(150 bw X 10 = 1500)

A 5-6 woman would be about 1200 calories

(120 bw X 10 = 1200)

Severe calorie restriction for weight loss rarely works, because you will eventually binge.

If you exercise and aren't consuming empty calories, counting calories probably isn't necessary.

I believe the minimum calorie intake is approximately 10 times your ideal lean body weight.

(150 bw X 10 = 1500)

(120 bw X 10 = 1200)

Severe calorie restriction for weight loss rarely works, because you will eventually binge.

If you exercise and aren't consuming empty calories, counting calories probably isn't necessary.

Oh my, I'd fade away completely if I only ate 1080 calories a day!! (I weigh 108 and eat about 2,500 calories a day.)

(150 bw X 10 = 1500)

(120 bw X 10 = 1200)

Oh my, I'd fade away completely if I only ate 1080 calories a day!! (I weigh 108 and eat about 2,500 calories a day.)

Yeah, that number is just a minimum, don't go less than that.

You probably burn your 1080 calories just running everyday.

I lost a LOT of weight last summer eating much more than "my ideal" 1500 calories.

But I was spending 2.5 hours each day on the treadmill

108 at 2,500 calories a day? Damn, if I eat 3000-3300 I check in at about 185. Right now with 2700-3000, I am at 180 and will probably go down a few more without any increase in cardio. I guess this is comparing a man to a woman, so it doesn't work that well.

MUST BE NICE!

When I eat more I get the junk in the trunk and my abs disappear. I hate it. I never used to gain fat like that before. Yay for estrogen..

I'm such a fataphobe. I'm constantly checking myself out in the mirror going "I need to lose this and this and this and gain some muscle here.. here and here"

Funny thing is...I can barely eat that much while not gaining...and thats with riding my bike over 20hours a week. I'm very jealous and miss gorging myself on a daily basis.

It's amazing how everyone's metabolisms are so different.

Overall I like being able to eat so much and stay this size, but sometimes I wish I didn't have to eat so much because it gets expensive! Plus, I get really tired of people who feel it's their position to make comments on my weight. What am I supposed to do, eat 3,500 calories a day? Forget it!

Believe me, it wasn't always this way. I can put on fat very easily when I'm not active. I just have a tiny frame and light bones.