Late Workouts

I"ve been getting home from work later than usual. Im finishing up my workout around 7:30pm - 8:00pm. Is it best to just have a smoothie post workout, and be done for the night?

Seems like it would be too late if I start cookin around 8. I did just lose a significant amount of weight from being sick though. Weight I could not afford to lose. So maybe I should just keep eating.

For example today:

7:30am

Yerba Mate Green Tea

1 Cup of Optimum Rebound with raisins

2 pieces of sprouted bread with peanut butter

9:30amish

Trader Joe's Green Protein

12:00

Quinoa Wrap with hummus

1:30pm

Pear

3:15pm

1/2 Cup of Oatmeal with raisins

6:20pm - 7:30pm

Workout

7:45pm

Frozen fruit with Gemma

Hi Threeloaves,

I quite often workout after work as well, so I end up getting home at about 8:00pm, like you do.

I could easily lose a few pounds, but it is important to have a good meal after a workout - I usually have a protein shake before I work out and drink Xtend during, so I go for food rather than a shake.

I usually make something quick and light, say salad with tofu or a veggie stir fry with tofu, tempeh etc, I just don't want any simple carbs etc, when I'll be going to be a few hours after I have eaten.

I think portion size is important too.

I don't have to worry about this too much now(only when the weathers bad in the morning) but I took quite well to training later in the day. I always felt stronger in the day(assuming I wasn't on my feet). I lifted extra in the morning and I felt weak doing that but I think in the end it made me stronger or some reason.

115! You're lighter than me! I would love to weigh 115 again..

I work too damn much and even though I work in a gym, I don't really get to workout during my shifts unless I teach classes, since I have to show members how to use the equipment.

Lately I've been storing my stuff upstairs so that if I need something, I can bolt up the 4 flights and grab it.

The nice thing is that I eat the same stuff everyday and can control my portions better. I really wanna lose 5 pounds before July..

your 115 is probably pure muscle and I got about 5-10 pounds of fat on my butt I wanna get rid off. *sigh*

I HATE BOYS!! Lol

115! You're lighter than me! I would love to weigh 115 again..

I work too damn much and even though I work in a gym, I don't really get to workout during my shifts unless I teach classes, since I have to show members how to use the equipment.

Lately I've been storing my stuff upstairs so that if I need something, I can bolt up the 4 flights and grab it.

The nice thing is that I eat the same stuff everyday and can control my portions better. I really wanna lose 5 pounds before July..

your 115 is probably pure muscle and I got about 5-10 pounds of fat on my butt I wanna get rid off. *sigh*

I HATE BOYS!! Lol

If it's muscle I don't see it. I'm starting to get cut, but not any bigger. I still look scrawny, and weak.

I'm not a believer of the whole don't eat after a certain time theory, it doesn't hold water imo. I say it time and time again to those who ask, its 'Calories in vs Calories out'

If you eat no calories all day and eat them mostly at night as opposed to another who spreads them out during the day, i cannot see the several meal person staying leaner then you b/c he ate his/her calories throughout the day. Do night calories have a special fat sticking element to them?

I also run into scenarios where I am working super late and show up to my 24hr gym in nyc as late as 1-2am in the morning and do not get out of there until 3-4am in the morning. My post workout meals are exactly the same as when I train during the day. I don't feel that I should adjust or deprive my post wkout meal intake based on the fact that the workouts are later.

The only problem I have with eating RIGHT before I go to bed is that I tend to sweat while I sleep which annoys me but other than that i'm ok with it.

Besides, if you ever read the stories of bulkers in mags, you hear of them keeping their meals on top of their toilets and waking up in the middle of the night on purpose to grab their meal while they have to use the br to eliminate digestion from the daily intake (Jay Cutler being one of them). Granted that's an extreme example but point is, if you really need your calories, you need to get them in when you can, even at night.....

I'm not a believer of the whole don't eat after a certain time theory, it doesn't hold water imo. I say it time and time again to those who ask, its 'Calories in vs Calories out'

If you eat no calories all day and eat them mostly at night as opposed to another who spreads them out during the day, i cannot see the several meal person staying leaner then you b/c he ate his/her calories throughout the day. Do night calories have a special fat sticking element to them?

I also run into scenarios where I am working super late and show up to my 24hr gym in nyc as late as 1-2am in the morning and do not get out of there until 3-4am in the morning. My post workout meals are exactly the same as when I train during the day. I don't feel that I should adjust or deprive my post wkout meal intake based on the fact that the workouts are later.

The only problem I have with eating RIGHT before I go to bed is that I tend to sweat while I sleep which annoys me but other than that i'm ok with it.

Besides, if you ever read the stories of bulkers in mags, you hear of them keeping their meals on top of their toilets and waking up in the middle of the night on purpose to grab their meal while they have to use the br to eliminate digestion from the daily intake (Jay Cutler being one of them). Granted that's an extreme example but point is, if you really need your calories, you need to get them in when you can, even at night.....

I find that if I eat just before I sleep, I wake up the next day with an unpleasant feeling in my stomach. I haven't done any research to see if you are more likely to put on weight from eating later vs earlier, but I definitely think there is at least some difference for some people, I don't get weird feelings in my stomach as a result of eating at any other time. If I don't eat at night, I wake up the next day feeling normal

There will be a lot of different views here, so best to go by your own body. If you need to pick up weight and can eat late at night without nightmares or and upset stomach, then Go for It.

I do believe in fueling the body within 1 hour after a weight lifting session, but only if you ate lite before the sesson. I mean if someone has consumed a pretty good amount of food before working-out, it is still there, no reason to put in more food.

Having said that, try to eat a couple hours before you workout. People say they can't at work, I don't buy this at all, unless you are literally chained to a area. Take food with you and eat when ever you get a chance. I don't know I just never had a problem finding time or a way to eat lol.

I am trying to lose more weight (BF) so I would suggest a person do the opposite of me