flabs over abs

IronMum

Some friends and I were having discussions about the 'shape' of abs seemingly visible even if there's a fair bit of body fat on top. Take my own body for example: even though I have made muscle gains this year, I still have a lot of body fat to lose. Before I started lifting, the fat on my stomach area was just a sort of smooth layer of fat IYKWIM. About 6 months ago, I noticed that although I still had fat, in my photos there seemed to be a bit of an outline in the ab area. Today, I still have the body fat but noticed when posing (as you do) that the 'shape' of my fat has changed again and it's sort of like a six pack of fat (ha!). Does that make sense? It has never looked like this before. I know I am definitely stronger in the abdominal area now overall thanks to my program. Obviously, I'm very slack with the fat loss part...

So some say that no, unless the body fat is way low you can't see any kind of ab outline-- if it jiggles it's just fat. Others disagree and said the fat 'conforms' to the shape of abs underneath as they noticed this in their own bodies when they had more body fat even though they trained hard (with weights).

What are your thoughts? I'm not hung up on flab vs abs, but there is a definite change in how that part of my body looks, even with the fat on top. My legs for example still have fat, even though people have commented on my 'muscly legs' without knowing I go to the gym (my leg muscles are more obvious and I get asked if I'm training to be a BB).

• 3 weeks later...

hahaha, this is an actual argument? I think if you can see muscle definition that is progress and something to be proud of. The need to have practically no body fat is over the top, unless you are a competing body builder/fitness athlete I would say be excited about 6-pack fat haha. 6 pack is a 6 pack. Congrats on making progress.

-Dylan